Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump keeps shutting off

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump keeps shutting off

I have a Sta Rite Max E Pro pump that will run for about 10 seconds and then shut off. After a few minutes, I can start it again but it does the same thing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PUmp keeps shutting off

Was the motor run dry for any length of time? How old is the motor? To me, it sounds like the motor is on its last legs. Likely the windings in the motor itself. There is an off chance it could just be the capacitor and those are pretty cheap. You could try that first if you don't suspect that the motor is old, damaged or worn out.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

You could do what I do with my one pump when it dosn't work....pick it up and slam it into the ground repeatedly until it cooperates LOL.
    10' x 30" Fast Set 1000 gallon. 2500gph intex cartridge filter. Intex solar heater with 500gph pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Was the motor run dry for any length of time? How old is the motor? To me, it sounds like the motor is on its last legs. Likely the windings in the motor itself. There is an off chance it could just be the capacitor and those are pretty cheap. You could try that first if you don't suspect that the motor is old, damaged or worn out.

The motor is actually only couple years old. As far as I know, it has not been run dry. Would the motor even start if the capacitor was bad?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

While running does the water flow look good? Sounds like a thermal issue - that it is is overheating and shutting off.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

This is an EXCELLENT article on pump capacitors. How To Select the Right Capacitor For Your Pool Pump Motor - INYOPools.com If the run capacitor is failing or has failed, you could have the symptoms you're experiencing. Motor starts, runs briefly at too high of an amperage, then trips the thermal protector.

Another article on pump troubleshooting as well: How To Determine Why a Motor Wont Start or Shuts Off - INYOPools.com

Note that an incorrect voltage setting on the pump can cause shut downs after short periods... or burn up the motor entirely.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by GaryT58 View Post
    While running does the water flow look good? Sounds like a thermal issue - that it is is overheating and shutting off.

Could the thermal overload engage within 10 seconds? Right now the pump has lost prime and I cannot get it to run long enough to establish flow. It runs only about 5-10 seconds and will not restart until it rests for 5 minutes or so.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by mmjeed View Post
    Could the thermal overload engage within 10 seconds? Right now the pump has lost prime and I cannot get it to run long enough to establish flow. It runs only about 5-10 seconds and will not restart until it rests for 5 minutes or so.
    No it should not.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: Pump keeps shutting off

Did you ever resolve this issue. I have the same problem with my pump.