Can SLAMMING Hurt my Heater?

Aug 24, 2016
HICKSVILLE, NY
I brought the pool up to shock level 2 days ago. My FCL is now at 8.3. That was 5 minutes ago. While looking at the heater manual for closing instructions I noticed it highlighted in bold that chlorine should be maintained at no more than 5 ppm. I read that imbalances in alkalinity and especially PH can be adverse to your heater, but never anything about chlorine. It's a Raypak gas heater. Should I be concerned?

The word is "maintained" and you have closed your pool which means water has been removed from the heater? Your FC is in the pool, which is fine, even up to shock level based on tie CYA. If you were running your pump and maintained high FC levels continuously, then you could do damage. In this case you are fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you closed pool? If not Allow levels to drift down to your normal rage.

Chlorine at shock level for you CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], will not harm your heater. There is less active hypochlorous acid in your pool with FC at shock level than there is in a pool with FC at 1 ppm and no CYA. PH below 7.2 can erode copper in heaters with a copper heat exchanger.

You may want to download the manual to see where the switch is. Regarding blowing out lines, I can be of assistance. I do not have a heater and have watched my friend close a few pools and do not recall him doing anything special to the heater . There should be a drain plug. Additionally all the power is off, so maybe it is not a big deal. I will contact my friend and inquire about heater tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably there is a disconnect wire on the switch.

Just found it! Raypak has some excellent instructional videos...mostly directed toward their authorized service techs, but the info is out there for all to see. I know exactly how to blow the lines. There are some videos on that too. Did a dry run, so we're all set.

Chlorine at shock level for you CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], will not harm your heater. There is less active hypochlorous acid in your pool with FC at shock level than there is in a pool with FC at 1 ppm and no CYA. PH below 7.2 can erode copper in heaters with a copper heat exchanger.
That's re-assuring to hear. It's just that their manual stressed that "Free Chorine MUST NOT EXCEED 5PPM!"

That's re-assuring to hear. It's just that their manual stressed that "Free Chorine MUST NOT EXCEED 5PPM!"

Yes, it can be a little nerve wracking to go against warranty warnings. I used to get nervous about it too. Much of the pool industry refuses to acknowledge, learn and understand the chlorine/CYA relationship despite the fact that it has been documented since the 1970s.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just found it! Raypak has some excellent instructional videos...mostly directed toward their authorized service techs, but the info is out there for all to see. I know exactly how to blow the lines. There are some videos on that too. Did a dry run, so we're all set.

Please send link to videos as this will be helpful in the future. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.