Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can it get more clear?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can it get more clear?

My water doesn't seem as clear as it used to be.
    FC 3
    CC 0
    PH 7.6
    TA 90
    CYA 40
    Any suggestions on what to look for?
    After reading some other posts I will say I have not been brushing as often as recommended, probably once every 2-3 weeks. I haven't had any issues all summer, till 2 weeks ago. Water was cloudy. I did my slam and it cleared it up....mostly.20161002_140546.jpg
    Justin N.W. Florida
    27' AGP 54" Depth K-2006 test kit
    Hayward super pump 1H.P.
    Hayward Star Clear C12002

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can it get more clear?

Holding your chlorine up around halfway between target and shock level for a bit usually helps clear things up. FC/CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

My sweep runs every day for just over a hour and I do a full, manual brushing every Tuesday morning. Works for me.
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Well, first off I'd say your FC is too low. For a CYA of 40, your goal should be to keep the FC between 5 and 7. The higher limit of 7 covers you for daily loss so that you don't drop below the ideal 5ppm. Your 3ppm is the basement of safe and it very well may be going lower each day. Algae will easily take hold if you don't stay on top of it.

Other than that, how's your filter? Is it needing cleaning or backwashing out?

When my water isn't quite as sparkly as normal I always can tell if the pH is a touch high. Yup- I test it and often that is in need of a little MA to bring it down and like magic- the sparkle is back!

I'd address that FC first though.....
    Maddie- TFP Guide. 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I'll get that fc up. I would guess the filter is fine, I've only had a rise of about 2 psi since it was new this year.

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool lost its sparkle for several weeks this summer. I had left for a 10 day vacation and turned on the tablet chlorine dispenser. When I got back I decided that the dispenser sure was handy and I left it turned on for a couple of weeks (as my cya was low anyway). I tested sloppily using my handy-dandy chlorine/pH color comparison test. Woke up one morning to an overnight algae bloom! I will never again dismiss water that looks "kind of okay"!! I slammed that baby for a couple of days and got her back to beautiful again.
    I think you should slam it.
    17.5 K gallons (16x32) vinyl inground pool with 1 hp pump and an old Triton sand filter. >20 years old. New 2015 Rheem gas heater. TF-100 Test kit. Little red robot and a Pool Blaster Max.