Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: bleach usage

bleach usage

I am trying to get a handle on how much bleach is used... in general, not an exact figure. Like an order of magnitude....

so in a month, how many gallons of bleach do you use, and how many gallons of water are in your pool?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

Re: bleach usage

Your bleach usage depends on a number of factors some of which include but are not limited to; rain , bather load, algae problems, vacation, your CYA level will be the most important one. The higher your CYA number is the more bleach your required to use. I personally use a small jug (96 oz ) every other day depending on the the factors I mentioned above with a CYA level of 30 ....

If my water looks a little cloudy I will use a small jug/day for a few days to get rid of the algae trying to grow in the water.
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

Yes I am aware of all those factors, but I just want a general idea. So you use around 3 gal a week? for a ~15Kg pool?

Any others like to chime in?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

I'm at 3 gallons a week as well.
    16' by 32' cornelius AG vinyl liner, 6' deep end, 14500 gal.
    Hayward 250 Lb sand filter
    Hayward 40 GPM pump
    2-2' by 20' sun grabber solar heater.
    4 gal Liquidator. BBB

Yes we use about 3 gal/ week and we have a 15k pool as well. Sorry I misunderstood your post
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

I usually buy 7 174oz <now 182oz> jugs every two weeks with one or two to spare towards the end of two weeks.
    ❄Closed❄
    24' Sharkline
    Solid Cover
    ❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄

I'm now putting 1 qt. of 10% (switched from 6%) in each evening. We have full sun all day and just started using a solar cover as of last night (which raised our water 6 degrees today ) I'm keeping our CYA low this season to see how it works out, such that we don't have to use much bleach. So right now, we're running: CYA 20, FC 2.5 (using 1 qt each evening keeps it at 2.5 by the end of the day), TA 60 and pH is holding steady at 7.4 - 7.6. I almost never have to add any muriatic acid.
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2

I use about 1 large jug - the 174 oz Walmart jug - per week. I keep my solar cover on the pool when not in use.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

I typically use 1 jug (96 oz) per day. I have a high CYA at 90. There are a few times where I have had to add two jugs.
    Pam
    approx. 30000 gallon IG 40x20 vinyl pool w/ cartridge filter

Before I started to try to go chlorine free, I was at 4 gallons a week for my 21,000 gallon IG pool, once it was chemically balanced, algae free, etc. I would add the chlorine 2 gallons at a time, Saturday mornings and Wednesday evenings. I bought my bleach at Aldi's.
    21k IG : Hayward Perflex EC65A DE Filter + 1.4 THP Northstar pump : Aquabot Turbo T2 : DelZone Eclipse-4 Ozonator : Floatron Ionizer : Some chlorine
    Pool cover an elephant can stand on. Painted concrete base or shell, with fiberglass upper side walls, and plastic/vinyl rim. Concrete deck.