Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: bleach usage

bleach usage

I am trying to get a handle on how much bleach is used... in general, not an exact figure. Like an order of magnitude....

so in a month, how many gallons of bleach do you use, and how many gallons of water are in your pool?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

Re: bleach usage

Your bleach usage depends on a number of factors some of which include but are not limited to; rain , bather load, algae problems, vacation, your CYA level will be the most important one. The higher your CYA number is the more bleach your required to use. I personally use a small jug (96 oz ) every other day depending on the the factors I mentioned above with a CYA level of 30 ....

If my water looks a little cloudy I will use a small jug/day for a few days to get rid of the algae trying to grow in the water.
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

Yes I am aware of all those factors, but I just want a general idea. So you use around 3 gal a week? for a ~15Kg pool?

Any others like to chime in?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

I'm at 3 gallons a week as well.
    16' by 32' cornelius AG vinyl liner, 6' deep end, 14500 gal.
    Hayward 250 Lb sand filter
    Hayward 40 GPM pump
    2-2' by 20' sun grabber solar heater.
    4 gal Liquidator. BBB

Yes we use about 3 gal/ week and we have a 15k pool as well. Sorry I misunderstood your post
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

I usually buy 7 174oz <now 182oz> jugs every two weeks with one or two to spare towards the end of two weeks.

Opened Pool 4/10/14
    Sharkline Venture 24'x54"
    Let's Get This Party Started!

I'm now putting 1 qt. of 10% (switched from 6%) in each evening. We have full sun all day and just started using a solar cover as of last night (which raised our water 6 degrees today ) I'm keeping our CYA low this season to see how it works out, such that we don't have to use much bleach. So right now, we're running: CYA 20, FC 2.5 (using 1 qt each evening keeps it at 2.5 by the end of the day), TA 60 and pH is holding steady at 7.4 - 7.6. I almost never have to add any muriatic acid.
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns
    Move over Aquabot Turbo - Pool Blaster Max is lighter!
    BBB and learning more every day!

I use about 1 large jug - the 174 oz Walmart jug - per week. I keep my solar cover on the pool when not in use.
    Helpful links: Pool School; The Pool Calculator; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    NO LONGER FRUSTRATED thanks to TFP.com
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

I typically use 1 jug (96 oz) per day. I have a high CYA at 90. There are a few times where I have had to add two jugs.
    Pam
    renting a house w/
    22,000 gallon IG vinyl pool w/ Hayword S200 sand filter
    No main drain, 1 skimmer, 2 return jets on same side of pool
    Taylor K2006 test kit

Before I started to try to go chlorine free, I was at 4 gallons a week for my 21,000 gallon IG pool, once it was chemically balanced, algae free, etc. I would add the chlorine 2 gallons at a time, Saturday mornings and Wednesday evenings. I bought my bleach at Aldi's.
    21k IG : Hayward Perflex EC65A DE Filter + 1.4 THP Northstar pump : Aquabot Turbo T2 : DelZone Eclipse-4 Ozonator : Floatron Ionizer : Some chlorine
    Pool cover an elephant can stand on. Painted concrete base or shell, with fiberglass upper side walls, and plastic/vinyl rim. Concrete deck.