polyquat algaecide

Jun 22, 2013
How do I know if the algaecide is Polyquat algaecide? Also, when closing the pool how much should I use? Normal treatment amount, or starting treatment amount? I couldn't find the info in the forum but am trying to close mine down today. Would rural king have the correct kind?

Thanks in advance.

The active ingredient is -

Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride]

It should have a concentration of 60% in water. It's a thick, viscous fluid.

You use the startup dose for closing a pool not the weekly maintenance dose.

Thank You. I had a hard time finding some as most the stores around here have removed the pool stuff. I found this at Lowes... It doesn't have directions for pool use, but it was the stuff you said to look for. It says it will treat up to 8740 gallons and my pool is 8600 so I guess just use the entire thing. Do you think that will be enough? Normally for start up and not preventative the amount doubles so I wasn't sure.IMG_20161002_155809556.jpg

If you were in a hurry to close and wanted to remove the pump, etc., you could do so. Since it's a small pool, it would be very acceptable to add the poly-60 around the perimeter of the pool and then thoroughly brush the entire pool to distribute the poly-60. But then you'd have to remove the cover. Not sure how big of a deal that is for you.

The product you have is the same ingredient so it will work just fine, especially if it's labeled to treat enough volume as your pool. You likely just paid too much for a diluted product. Not a big deal and will work fine.

So even though it was 6% instead of 60%, if it said it would treat 8740 gallons I should be okay? That was 32oz of product and was around $15. I am guessing if I had the 60% I would have only needed like 3.2oz... My concern is do I need to add more or should I be okay?

I was in a hurry to get the pool covered before the leaves start falling here. I wanted to keep the pump running a while longer because I just installed a new filter and pump because I had excessive sand blowing into the pool and developed a mustard algae problem. I got rid of that problem with high levels of chlorine for a week straight, constant pump and filter running and daily vacuuming and brushing. I was actually amazed at what I had read that I got it killed and cleaned up that fast. My pool is crystal clear now. Better than I have ever seen it.

So with that said, I want to make sure I have plenty of product in the pool so I don't open it up to a huge mess in the spring.

I really appreciate the advise here!

- - - Updated - - -

I went ahead and order some. https://www.amazon.com/Kem-Tek-KTK-50-0006-60-Percent-Concentrated-Algaecide/dp/B0030BEI0Y

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.