Bubbles in return jet

Oct 27, 2011
Dallas, texas
Hello - I noticed a lot of bubbles in my pump and return jet when the skimmer line is open. I have one skimmer and one main drain. When just the main drain is open there are no bubbles. I think it is my skimmer line. Any other possible reasons that could cause this?

I had my pool guy check it out and he thinks its the line. He quoted me $500 to fix, there is about 12-15ft to the pool pump. The area is generally clear, so he can dig it right up. Does that sounds reasonable to you

Thanks for everyone's input on this.

Last edited:
If those bubbles are isolated to the skimmer only, it does sound like that could be the culprit. Sometimes, the SWG can generate a few tiny bubbles to the jets, but if your water level is good, the fact it only happens with the skimmer is being used and is also in the pump basket leads to the skimmer line. $500? Well, that's not a long distance, and depends on how accessible the line is (deep). The parts should be under $100, but of course the labor is what always gets us. Depending on his experience and equipment being used to dig, perhaps a 2-3 hour job - give or take a few. Might be just as well to let him do it if you have any reservations as a DIY project. Perhaps ask if he provides a warranty for his work for some length of time?

Now if you are a DIY'er and the line is not too deep, then you might get by with the PVC, a few new fittings, and some glue. Of course aspirin at the end of the days as well. :)

If you have any doubts before confirming the job, make sure to review the Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page.

Pat - thanks for this response. I am typically a DIY'er but I have a deck that I am in the process of fixing. I pulled the deck in that area so once I put back together in the next few weekends I wont want to revisit that fix if I mess something up!

He mentioned using a flexible pipe as opposed to rigid, do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks again, this is good stuff. Will be buried in clay soil. However it wont be buried in concrete and I do have a chipmunk problem, but not near skimmer or shed where water pump goes. Sounds like flex makes sense in this application?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.