Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC slow to come down

1. Back To Top    #1

FC slow to come down

We had a lot of rain week before last and an algae bloom started late last week. My FC was like 2. My CYA was 55. I got my PH to 7.5 with acid and began to slam (by the book). It was slow getting my CYA up during the summer so I decided to slam with Trichlor initially. I got my FC up to 26 and kept it there during the slam with bleach. I swept the entire pool each day. On Sunday morning the OCLT revealed an overnight drop of 1 ppm FC to 24 and a CC of 0.5. The pool was clear except for a little cloudiness. I was done. I left the SWG off and on Wednesday checked and the FC was 19. I checked the CYA and it was up to 80. I just checked the FC this morning and it's only down to 15. What's going on here? I've never had FC stick around like this, of course I never had CYA that high...usually sub-optimal. Is something wrong or should I just wait with SWG off?

PH=7.5
    FC=15
    TA=60
    CYA=80

Thanks!
    20,000gal, inground, vinyl liner, 1.5hp Hayward Superpump, Hayward sand filter, Heat Pump, CircuPool SWG, BBB w/o Borax, one skimmer, Caretaker floor popups, two return jets at stairs, waterfall.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: FC slow to come down

of course I never had CYA that high.
    That's the answer. It'll still come down....give it time
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: FC slow to come down

Not directly related to your question but...
    You said "The pool was clear except for a little cloudiness. I was done."
    Actually, you aren't done with the SLAM yet. No cloudiness, at all, is one of the three criteria for completion.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir