Hi all, I'm new to this forum but I have owned my pool for 5 years and I need some help, I think. I have always had really nice water up until the end of august this year. My testing process was to always use a 5 way dip strip and as long as the chlorine showed 3-5 and alkalinity was close it was good. When the chlorine got low throw a 3" tablet in the skimmer and good for another week. Every week or 2 throw a bag of shock in there because that's what I was told.
In August my water started getting cloudy even though I had chlorine on the strip. I also got an ear infection. We went away for labor day and when I got back there was green stuff growing on my steps. I went to the local pool store with a water sample and they said my alkalinity was low and I needed 10 lbs of baking soda and to shock it with 2 bags of multi purpose shock. My water turned into pea soup. I went back to the store and they told me to raise the PH to like 8 and do a yellow out where I added the yellow out and a gallon of chlorine and another gallon 12 hrs and another in 24 hours. This helped after 20 or 30 filter cleanings and running my pump nonstop I could almost see the bottom.
2 weeks ago I found this forum and after reading I started dumping lots of bleach into my pool, I did not know my chlorine because I was out of strips and I was waiting on my taylor k2006 kit to arrive. I have dumped 10 gallons of bleach in this thing in ten days and it has gotten better as I can see the bottom now and see the pattern on my liner but its till cloudy.
Thursday my kit came and I tested the water but it had rained hard for 2 days so I was unsure if my results would be good here is my first water test results - FC:16ppm , CC: 1.0 ppm ,PH 7.8 , Alkalinity 140, CYA really high the dot disappears at like 1/2" of column fill, CH 70 ppm
Yesterday I dumped 1/2 gal bleach just for GP and vacuumed all day it is looking better but still cloudy.
Today, Sunday I got up and tested again just to compare and see where my test results are. They are very close-
FC: 16ppm, CC: .5ppm ,PH 7.8 ,Alkalinity 140, CYA still really same as above.
I am just trying to get this thing cleared up to close it but I'm thinking with the stabilizer so high that I'm going to need drain and fill before I can throw the cover on it. Any thoughts or Ideas would be a great help. Thanks