Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner Tank holding rain water

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner Tank holding rain water

I just installed my Stenner pump and tank and still tuning the dosage. I however have a question. The Stenner tank has a small reservoir area below the pump (there is a lip that goes around the flat top of the container). When it rains, this area fills with rain water. Do others face the same problem? How did you address it? I was thinking of just tilting the tank so that water would just accumulate in a smaller part of the reservoir but it does not resolve the issue. I don't like the idea of putting a plastic cover over the pump.
    16,600 gallon, midnight blue gunnite in-ground pool with attached spa, Hayward Ecostar 3400VSP variable speed pump, Jandy Aqualink 6100 panel, Blue Haven 450 Filter, HiTec solar panels, Stenner 45MPHP10 connected to Jandy panel for chlorination, Jandy Lite2 Model LJ propane gas heater, Polaris 360, TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner Tank holding rain water

You can drill a hole through that "lip" - ie penetrating both sides of the tank, and then insert a 1/4 drain tube through the tank to let water out that way. Hole would be drilled a hair above the tank surface and the tube cut flush at each drill point (lubed up with silicon). Then place a spacer underneath the bottom edge to give it a little gravity drain effect/tilt. I assume Stenner intended that to be a reservoir to catch leakage but that is a fail during the rainy season when the reservoir remains filled with rain water. It's a nice little catch basin to provide a haven for mosquitos which is why I modified mine in this manner.
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Jaimslaw! I was thinking of this option as well - good to know that it worked for you! Will do today.
    16,600 gallon, midnight blue gunnite in-ground pool with attached spa, Hayward Ecostar 3400VSP variable speed pump, Jandy Aqualink 6100 panel, Blue Haven 450 Filter, HiTec solar panels, Stenner 45MPHP10 connected to Jandy panel for chlorination, Jandy Lite2 Model LJ propane gas heater, Polaris 360, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

I also will do this mod. I usually just use an air hose to blow the water out after a rain, but your idea would work better.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Attached the end result (and it rained heavily this afternoon!). I should have drilled slightly into the horizontal part so that all the water goes away but it took care of most of it.

Stenner.jpg

6. Back To Top    #6

That looks good to me. I actually had some spare time on my hands so I made a little catch basin in/on the surface of the tank right up against the lip and then ran tubing as showing in your picks. (Wife as I was spending half a day having fun doing this mod: 'yeah, you have way too much time on your hands').
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

LOL - wife is always right!

8. Back To Top    #8

Just so we are all on the same page here the photo above shows a defeat of the chemical containment rim of the tank. The rim is required by OSHA and similar state rules to protect against release of the stored product in the event of an incident during the fill process.

In a commercial installation or public pool it would be an OSHA violation and, depending on the state, possibly a crime.

So generally this is something you should not do.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

if one's tank rim is filled with rainwater, how are containment objectives fulfilled during a refill incident?

As you correctly pointed out, there really can't be an OSHA violation in the context of a residential, non work setting.

For the record, I am no fan of OSHA - which started out as an agency with a reasonable set of safety objectives, but which of recent, has evolved into a typical overregulating organ of the state that has placed an unreasonable stranglehold on business. (reference: closing down construction site: reason, not enough drinking water dispensing containers on the job site).

I'm sure OSHA has my best interest in mind when they compelled Stenner to design a reservoir in case I don't have the ability to properly pour liquid into a round hole.