Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upgrading to an additional sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Upgrading to an additional sand filter

Hi everybody,
    I have a pair of pools connected by a spillover but with essentially independent pump and filtration systems. I am slowly trying to reduce the amount of maintenance. I installed a SWG recently and changed the 30 year old single speed pumps by variable speed ones. One recurring issue is cleaning the DE filters. Our pool gets a lot of debris from trees, etc and it is one of the tasks we dread. We have a non-functional gas heater that we have been meaning to remove and I was considering putting a sand filter there in series with one of the DE filters. The thinking is that the sand filter could take care of the main cleaning and be simpler to maintain, the DE would be in recirculate (bypass) for the periods when the pool is not being used as intensively (we don't close the pool). Are there any problems with this approach? Are the tagelus filters a good option? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    IG plaster pools built in 1985 (?): 16k(?) gallons lap pool (62'x8') connected by a spillover to 17k(?) gallons squarish pool (22.5'x18'). DE filters Pentair NS-48(x2), polaris 280 (non-functioning). Inline chlorinator [removed!] -> Circupool Si60 SWCG [Newly self installed March 2016!]. Recently acquired dolphin nautilus+ [Summer 2015]. Still figuring out what else I have and how things work.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Upgrading to an additional sand filter

I've wondered for a long time why using a sand filter as a pre filter for a DE or cartridge filter wasnt a more common idea. Other than cost and added plumbing complexity. Of course you will have added back pressure on the pump so your pump rpms will have to get bumped up a bit.
    15x30 Above ground Aluminum frame, 13,000 gal Vinyl Liner
    Pentair Super flo VS, Crystal Flo II 19" sand filter
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 4x20 Fafco solar panel
    TF-100 test kit, Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You will have a much bigger head loss so that's probably not very efficient but, aside from maintaining two filters, it should be no problem.

Why not just one large sand filter.......that's your best option, I believe.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. I am not saying that this would make sense when designing the system from scratch, but rather as an improvement on an existing arrangement. I could just replace one of the DE filters by a large sand filter, but it seems a waste to just throw away a perfectly nice DE filter, and because I am taking out a non functioning gas heater, there hardly is any increase in plumbing complexity. Regarding the increase in head, I suppose that is a consideration but I would normally only run one filter at a time, and I do have a 3 HP VS pump for that loop, so I am guessing it should be okay. Any other reasons I should not do this? I really appreciate the feedback
    IG plaster pools built in 1985 (?): 16k(?) gallons lap pool (62'x8') connected by a spillover to 17k(?) gallons squarish pool (22.5'x18'). DE filters Pentair NS-48(x2), polaris 280 (non-functioning). Inline chlorinator [removed!] -> Circupool Si60 SWCG [Newly self installed March 2016!]. Recently acquired dolphin nautilus+ [Summer 2015]. Still figuring out what else I have and how things work.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    You will have a much bigger head loss so that's probably not very efficient but, aside from maintaining two filters, it should be no problem.

Why not just one large sand filter.......that's your best option, I believe.
    I run a 1000lb sand filter with two sized quartz sand in mine and it performs flawlessly. I'm not a big de fan but sure love sand
    113,000L indoor saltwater pool built in 1981. 1000lb sand filter, filed with quartz with 2hp single speed pump.
    4602L indoor saltwater whirlpool built in 1981. 500lb sand filter with 2hp single speed pump. Both controlled by chemtrol250 and Hayward pro swg's.

6. Back To Top    #6

Nutria,

Here's an alternative to consider. Put a cartridge filter in parallel with your DE. Properly sized the new filters last several months between cleaning and the elements last for years. They filter smaller particles than most sand filters and almost as good as DE. I'd bet you'll end up never running the DE. When I first moved in I thought the filter would be one of my first things to change. But I really like this thing. It's 3 years old and I changed the cartridge last year just because I thought 2 years was enough. I've since learned many go 3-5 years. Same thing goes with cleaning the cartridge. I thought this would be an issue until I found out it has one single very large element so cleaning is a matter of removing the top of the housing by removing the ring nut (no tools needed). My pressure drop never gets to the recommended level so I just clean it every 3 months... takes about 30 min with a filter cleaning wand from Amazon.

I hope this helps.

Chris
    -Chris-
    2013 In-ground plaster/pebble, screen enclosed, 12000 gal w/ Jandy 2 speed 1 HP pump,Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter 800 gal spa w/ 1.5 HP booster pump, Solar heater, 2 LED lights in pool 1 light in spa, TF-100 test kit, The PoolCleaner Next Generation, Jandy RS-12 Automation system with iAqualink 2.0 control, Separate Hayward/Goldline Solar control

7. Back To Top    #7

I understand the issue about cleaning a DE filter and wanting to change that but I don't see any advantage of keeping the DE filter. Sell it and help pay for the sand filter.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

How about skimmer socks?
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend