Closing - Use Metal Magic

jobondur

Dec 13, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
I did the vitamin C treatment for metal stains this summer and it worked great, however I have to keep the metal magic applied or they come back. Should I apply a mega dose before closing or just close and worry about it when I open? If so, how much should I apply? Thanks a ton.

I wouldn't use it. It helps eat chlorine and I would rather have the chlorine in the water as long as possible. Keep your pH down when you close and check to see that it stays below 8.0 throughout the winter. I am a little surprised you close in that fairly temperate climate. It's fine to do so but I guess I was thinking you would seldom have much of a freeze.

When Skippy and I lived in VaBch, the winters were pretty mild. Occasional snow, mostly bad N'easters.

Do you know how your pool got the metals in there? Our lawn watering well did have iron, but the city water was just fine.

Have you considered you can try to replace your water in stages over the fall and winter to see if you can get rid of the metal laden water altogether?

Truthfully I close so that I don't have to fool with the pool over the winter. Water's too cold to talk the kids or wife into swimming so it's time to close. Doesn't matter how long I wait with all the trees and pollen we have, I'll have a green mess when I open regardless (believe me I've tried waiting super late and opening super early).

I'm guessing the metal comes from the well water we fill it with. I'm on city water but we use well water to fill the pool. Haven't really tried replacing the water yet, guess I need to get the well water tested.

If you do end-up closing the pool completely and lowering the water level, you might consider lowering more than required just so that perhaps you can take advantage of winter rains and/or city water replacement in stages to help lower any iron content in the pool. If budget allows, perhaps look into a water softening product if you don't already have one available that may help you replenish the pool with iron-free water (if needed) beyond what the city provides. In the long run, anything you can do now to reduce iron content will surely help next season. Doing the whole pH-iron-FC juggling act is challenging at best. I'm sure you know that already. :brickwall: Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

If you do end-up closing the pool completely and lowering the water level, you might consider lowering more than required just so that perhaps you can take advantage of winter rains and/or city water replacement in stages to help lower any iron content in the pool. If budget allows, perhaps look into a water softening product if you don't already have one available that may help you replenish the pool with iron-free water (if needed) beyond what the city provides. In the long run, anything you can do now to reduce iron content will surely help next season. Doing the whole pH-iron-FC juggling act is challenging at best. I'm sure you know that already. :brickwall: Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

I could certainly lower my levels a little extra at closing this year as I typically open with more water than I need anyways. How low can you safely lower the water level in a vinyl liner pool?

Also, I fill with well water that likely has high iron in it (need to test). Is there a simple setup that I can hook in-line with a garden hose to use to filter out the metals in the water?

Do you see iron stains on your sidewalk or driveway from sprinkler watering? That is how we knew we had iron in the water in VaBeach.

Other than cost could you just drain the pool down and fill with city water instead?

Do you see iron stains on your sidewalk or driveway from sprinkler watering? That is how we knew we had iron in the water in VaBeach.

Other than cost could you just drain the pool down and fill with city water instead?

Don't have a sprinkler system.

I probably could but the cost would likely be pretty prohibitive. I did call a company called Pure Water Products and they have a setup I could buy that he said would work well. I'm going to send him a water sample so he can do a lab test (free) and see what some options are. Not sure I'll go this way but might look into it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.