Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green pool/Hydrogen peroxide (H202)

1. Back To Top    #1

Cape Town

Green pool/Hydrogen peroxide (H202)

Hello wise TFP members

I have a a 60000L pool, a kidney bean shape one. It is fibre glass.

The pump has been switched off over I have a green pool.

Last year I took out all the chlorine and Bromine ( I am a health practitioner and I did not want my family, friends and I to swim in chemicals) and added Hydrogen Peroxide (H202), which mostly worked very well.

I have been adding about 4L every week of H202 for about 6 weeks and I still have a green pool, I upped the PH this week thinking that may help, but still a green pool.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this sort of treatment and how to use it successfully?

Thanking you in advance

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: Green pool/Hydrogen peroxide (H202)

Isn't that what got the pool at the Olympics in such a mess?

How do you figure hydrogen peroxide isn't a chemical itself? Especially as its been found to damage granulation cells in healing wounds and all that?

Gimme good old safe chlorine please!
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Green pool/Hydrogen peroxide (H202)

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Green pool/Hydrogen peroxide (H202)

In the USA, peroxide is not an approved sanitizer as a proper residual concentration can not be maintained and the pathogen kill times are too long. You would need something between 50-100ppm H2O2 in water to come even close to the same pathogen kill times as a few ppm of chlorine.

Sorry, there's just no way to use peroxide safely as a pool sanitizer.
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates