Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green pool/Hydrogen peroxide (H202)

1. Back To Top    #1

Green pool/Hydrogen peroxide (H202)

Hello wise TFP members

I have a a 60000L pool, a kidney bean shape one. It is fibre glass.

The pump has been switched off over winter...now I have a green pool.

Last year I took out all the chlorine and Bromine ( I am a health practitioner and I did not want my family, friends and I to swim in chemicals) and added Hydrogen Peroxide (H202), which mostly worked very well.

I have been adding about 4L every week of H202 for about 6 weeks and I still have a green pool, I upped the PH this week thinking that may help, but still a green pool.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this sort of treatment and how to use it successfully?

Thanking you in advance
    Rebecca

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Green pool/Hydrogen peroxide (H202)

Isn't that what got the pool at the Olympics in such a mess?

How do you figure hydrogen peroxide isn't a chemical itself? Especially as its been found to damage granulation cells in healing wounds and all that?

Gimme good old safe chlorine please!
    Maddie- TFP Guide. 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Green pool/Hydrogen peroxide (H202)

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Green pool/Hydrogen peroxide (H202)

In the USA, peroxide is not an approved sanitizer as a proper residual concentration can not be maintained and the pathogen kill times are too long. You would need something between 50-100ppm H2O2 in water to come even close to the same pathogen kill times as a few ppm of chlorine.

Sorry, there's just no way to use peroxide safely as a pool sanitizer.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates