Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to buy ozone cartridge replacement?

1. Back To Top    #1

how to buy ozone cartridge replacement?

I understand you are supposed to replace the cartridge once a year- but when I search for it I can only find the whole ozone generator assembly (which I don't think needs to be replaced once a year....) am I searching for the wrong part?
    Inground 28000 gal Concrete, Hayward Progrid DE filter 6020, US motors 1.5hp pump (3450rpm) , Polaris 360
    300 gal hot tub, Spa Vita, Bromine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to buy ozone cartridge replacement?

Our general stance is that Ozone or UV systems are not needed in typical outdoor residential pools and are a waste of money, our general advice to those that have already invested in them is to disconnect them when it comes time to replace components.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the ozone unit for your hot tub or your pool?

- - - Updated - - -

If it's for the hot tub, contact the hot tub manufacturer for the correct part replacement.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

A quick search online of the Vita spa line of hot tubs shows that they use the CleanZone ozone cartridge generator (plasma gap corona discharge) made by MAAX Spas. However, it doesn't appear that the units are available for online purchase and that you need to go through your hot tub distributor to get a replacement unit.

An annual replacement schedule on an ozone generator could be an expensive proposition. Unfortunately there is no easy way to know if a unit is generating ozone so you're stuck with the expensive/frequent replacement cycle particularly if you are using the ozone generator as the means for regenerating your bromine sanitizer levels from a bromide bank in the water.

You might be interested in our article on how to convert a hot tub to chlorine which is A LOT cheaper to run than a bromine spa - How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Many TFP hot tub owners prefer the dichlor-then-bleach method as it is a lot easier to implement and test for and uses the same chemicals and test kit as the pool does.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    A quick search online of the Vita spa line of hot tubs shows that they use the CleanZone ozone cartridge generator (plasma gap corona discharge) made by MAAX Spas. However, it doesn't appear that the units are available for online purchase and that you need to go through your hot tub distributor to get a replacement unit.

An annual replacement schedule on an ozone generator could be an expensive proposition. Unfortunately there is no easy way to know if a unit is generating ozone so you're stuck with the expensive/frequent replacement cycle particularly if you are using the ozone generator as the means for regenerating your bromine sanitizer levels from a bromide bank in the water.

You might be interested in our article on how to convert a hot tub to chlorine which is A LOT cheaper to run than a bromine spa - How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Many TFP hot tub owners prefer the dichlor-then-bleach method as it is a lot easier to implement and test for and uses the same chemicals and test kit as the pool does.
    I find bromine/chlorine to be harsh on skin- the ozonator is working (making bubbles) so I just want to get some sanitation out of it (I am sure i's not been serviced for years) to be able to reduce the bromine level
    Inground 28000 gal Concrete, Hayward Progrid DE filter 6020, US motors 1.5hp pump (3450rpm) , Polaris 360

6. Back To Top    #6

Bubbles are not an indication the unit is producing ozone. It's an air flow-thru unit so it will suck in air and make bubbles anytime.

Also, ozone by itself is not an appropriate spa sanitizer. It's pathogen kill times are too slow and lack of residual concentration in the water make it ineffective. You are st risk of developing pseudomonas (i.e., hot tub rash) or some other nasty pathogens. If you want to use a halogen free spa product you can try the Nature2 mineral system which uses silver ions in conjunction with MPS. It's the only non-halogen based sanitizer aside from baquacil that the EPA allows.
    Matt

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Bubbles are not an indication the unit is producing ozone. It's an air flow-thru unit so it will suck in air and make bubbles anytime.

Also, ozone by itself is not an appropriate spa sanitizer. It's pathogen kill times are too slow and lack of residual concentration in the water make it ineffective. You are st risk of developing pseudomonas (i.e., hot tub rash) or some other nasty pathogens. If you want to use a halogen free spa product you can try the Nature2 mineral system which uses silver ions in conjunction with MPS. It's the only non-halogen based sanitizer aside from baquacil that the EPA allows.
    I understand neither of these solutions totally eliminate the need for halogens- just greatly reduce it. Nature2 seems interesting- my goal is to get away with 1 ppm bromine

8. Back To Top    #8

Ozone does little or nothing to allow you to run lower bromine levels, what it primarily does is help oxidize bather waste faster so you consume less bromine in total.

In other words it allows you to use less bromine / it also helps reactivate your bromine, but does not allow you to run at a lower ppm bromine effectively.

Ike

p.s. just to clear things up I am not against having an ozonator in a hot tub, I have one in mine, but also have an SWG so run chlorine plus ozone
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~