Is it feasible to install a cover over half the pool?

Oct 1, 2016
Knoxville
We've just built a pool...more or less geometric...with one edge extended a bit as a "lap lane". We're trying to swim as year-round as possible in Knoxville, TN. If we were to leave a pool cover over the pool that's NOT the lap lane, in conjunction with a heat pump, do you think that'd be sufficient to retain enough heat to make swimming feasible when the air temperature gets into the mid-40s or so?

In the "covered section" of the pool, the water's about 5 ft deep, but also has about half of it is a "sun-shelf". In my limited aquatic experience, I'm thinking (hoping?) that covering this area and just leaving it covered all the time would trap enough heat to keep the temperature reasonable. Especially since that water around the sun-shelf SHOULD run a little warmer in general. We've avoided considering a gas heater since the operating expense would be prohibitive.

Thanks in advance for any input. We haven't bought ANYTHING yet. We're looking for some valued input from folks that aren't trying to sell us something!;)

A bubble wrap type solar cover over the whole pool that you can remove when you want to swim will be your cheapest effective option, cost for most pools is under $100 although you will need a reel of some type unless you have 2 people to fold it when you want to use the pool. On Solar covers we generally recommend buying the cheaper thin ones, they are lighter, and hold up almost as long as the thicker ones.

Well, oftentimes my wife will swim, and won't have the feasibility or inclination to remove it/replace it each time. That's why I'm investigating the possibility of covering everything but the lap lane during the winter months.

It would definitely be worth your effort to cover the whole pool. It is something like 5 times cheaper to heat a covered pool vs an uncovered pool. It would be pretty easy to rig a cover roller that you could roll up and leave it in the water while swimming. Like this one, DIY Solar Cover Roller

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.