brown water from jets & other questions

Jun 20, 2008
Kentucky
opened late, pool very green. been using lots of bleach, green is clearing and beginning to see bottom. deep end hazy. clorine isn't holding. when filtering, water is clear from jets.when vacuuming, jets emits brown water and clouds pool and can't see bottom. clorine is 0 and ph 6.8. do not have test to test cya other than test strips which is slowing low cya. have brown ring...do have metal problem from time to time. questions are
==do i continue to keep clorine high to fight the algae
--what causes the brown water from jets and how to correct that
--do i add stabilzer and trust the test strips
--do i treat metals...what do i do first...do i add bleach them metal out or add both same time?
--give me the steps to follow in sequence so i don't mess up
thanks.

--give me the steps to follow in sequence so i don't mess up

1. Read all the basic articles in Pool School.....esp. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and everything under Pool Chemistry. That'll generate some more questions and you can go from there.

PS - You are gonna' need a lot more chlorine...clearing a pool requires chlorine to be at a constant high level. You cannot let it come down until your pool is clear.

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing to do is to get the PH into the normal range, between 7.2 and 7.8.

Do not trust test strips, especially for CYA readings. By far the best thing you can do is to get a top quality test kit.

Do some reading at Pool School, see the link near the top right of every page.

To give you more detailed advice we need you to post a full set of water test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.