Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why aren't Naure2 and Bromine compatible?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Why aren't Naure2 and Bromine compatible?

I was told today that Nature 2 and Bromine are not compatible, and that if used together, the bromine will create a film on the beads inside the Nature 2 rendering them useless. Can anyone shine some light on what would be going on there? Why doesn't chlorine do something similar?

Since Nature 2 is a mineral ion system, why would it be susceptible to this problem while other mineral ion systems aren't? I'm thinking of the bullfrog system where there is a blue mineral cartridge, and a yellow bromine cartridge floating side by side. What is the difference?
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why aren't Naure2 and Bromine compatible?

We will see what kind of responses you get to this question. Generally most folks on this forum and the Trouble Free Pool system strongly discourage the use of mineral systems like the Nature 2 and Bullfrog finding they increase the risk of copper staining and make it more difficult to keep the pool properly sanitized. Neither system can provide a consistantly reliable chlorination level as a function of the current cya and metal ion levels in the pool.

So I doubt you will find someone on here who will respond , but we shall see.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Which Nature 2 system is it?

The mineral cartridges for the pool systems all contain copper sulfate (aluminum oxide binder with silver metal particles and copper sulfate embedded in them). Copper sulfate will react with bromine (hypobromous acid/hypobromite anion) to form copper bromide (a solid yellow compound). Cupric ions are stable in a low FC solution if the pH is low enough but copper bromide is almost completely insoluble in water and forms a thick, paste-like compound due to the polymeric nature of Cu-Br bonding.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I'm talking about the Nature 2 system for spas. I'm not sure if they are chemically the same as the systems for pools.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

They're the same and in either case, use is not a recommended practice of TFPC.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

The spa cartridges are silver only. Silver reacts with bromine as well and forms insoluble silver bromide which would be equally as bad.

Typically, when using the nature 2 system in spas, one simply uses the ion cartridge and MPS as the EPA approves this system as a sanitizer. At high spa temperatures, the kill rates of silver ions (with MPS present) are sufficient for sanitation; no chlorine is necessary.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    The spa cartridges are silver only. Silver reacts with bromine as well and forms insoluble silver bromide which would be equally as bad.

Typically, when using the nature 2 system in spas, one simply uses the ion cartridge and MPS as the EPA approves this system as a sanitizer. At high spa temperatures, the kill rates of silver ions (with MPS present) are sufficient for sanitation; no chlorine is necessary.
    Thanks JoyfulNoise. I'm not a fan of any system that won't allow me to test and verify sanitizer levels, so I try to hedge my bets when I have to deal with nature 2. Does chlorine have any negative effects on the Nature 2?
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

8. Back To Top    #8

No, chlorine won't hurt the nature 2.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach