Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer gasket and rust

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer gasket and rust

So my skimmers have a rust stain on the inside edge and it's starting to run down the faceplate too. I noticed the skimmers have the gasket between the skimmer and back of the pool wall.
    Then manual says nothing about a gasket on the backside of pool wall.
    The manual says a gasket goes behind the liner then another on top of the liner behind the faceplate. So it appears that I don't have a gasket behind the liner. Just on top behind the faceplate. I assume this may be where the rust is coming from?
    Is it possible to remove the skimmer faceplate and put a gasket between the pool wall and liner?
    IG Vinyl, 20'x40' Sports Pool, Savannah Liner no border, 20' liner steps, 2 Venturi Renegade Skimmers, Hayward 1.5hp 2 speed pump, Aqua Rite 40k Salt system, Typhoon slide, Hayward Sand Filter, 22,519 gallons, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer gasket and rust

I went ahead and ordered two gaskets. Is it ok to put the gasket behind the liner so I have two gaskets? Liner has been in for about 2 months.
    IG Vinyl, 20'x40' Sports Pool, Savannah Liner no border, 20' liner steps, 2 Venturi Renegade Skimmers, Hayward 1.5hp 2 speed pump, Aqua Rite 40k Salt system, Typhoon slide, Hayward Sand Filter, 22,519 gallons, TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Bump

4. Back To Top    #4

You might get a bit more help if you post some photos showing the problem...
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Depending on condition of liner, that's risky business- you will have a minimum of 12 faceplate screw penetrations to line up after. You can stick golf tees in while plate is off-- but you are best off "a&b' ing" faceplate to skimmer throat.

6. Back To Top    #6

What do you mean by a&b ing? Liner is just a month or two old.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoolguyinCT View Post
    Depending on condition of liner, that's risky business- you will have a minimum of 12 faceplate screw penetrations to line up after. You can stick golf tees in while plate is off-- but you are best off "a&b' ing" faceplate to skimmer throat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #7

8. Back To Top    #8

I think he means 2 part underwater expoxy. If you drain just below the skimmer you can carefully slide gasket behind just dont pull too hard or tear the linner.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

9. Back To Top    #9

I have gaskets in hand I just don't want to screw it up if its gonna cause a problem when I remove the screws. I could see the epoxy working but what would happen one day when I need to remove the epoxy to change the liner out. If it can be easily removed what epoxy is best for that situation. Thanks for the comments