Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hot Spring Spas - Ace Salt electrode vs Deuce

1. Back To Top    #1

Hot Spring Spas - Ace Salt electrode vs Deuce

The Hot Spring Spas Ace Salt cell that came with my 2014 spa is nearing the end of its lifespan and will need replacement soon. It has been working well, but a replacement cell costs ~800$ and I have to use their Vanishing Act bag at around $50 per fill to reduce the calcium level to ~50ppm (anyone know what is in this mysterious bag?).

In my previous hot tub I used a Colorchlor (aftermarket drape-over salt cell) with excellent results. The same company now manufactures a "Deuce" cell which is a direct replacement for the Ace cell, at a cost of $500. It seems to have good reviews.

Ace Cell
    Pros: Incorporates boron doped diamond (BDD) technology to improve sanitization (no this is not a gimmick - it has a proven track record in wastewater treatment)
    Cons: High cost of electrode and requires calcium reducing bag for each fill.

Deuce Cell
    Pros: Much cheaper. Don't need to reduce calcium level
    Cons: No BDD.

Does anyone have any ideas/experience on which cell to buy? I am not looking to get rid of the salt system - it works very well for me, even if it has had mixed results for other people. It reduces my maintenance significantly.
    15x30 Inground Indoor Pool
    Endless Pools Fastlane
    Hot Spring Spas Grandee

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: Hot Spring Spas - Ace Salt electrode vs Deuce

It depends I think Hot Spring tubs come with a 5 year warranty to the original owner, if so you may want to weigh the chances that they may invalidate the warranty vs cell cost this time around.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Hot Spring Spas - Ace Salt electrode vs Deuce

I would go with the deuce. It's a 50/50 with the ace. Sounds like you had got a good one. Chance are next time not so lucky I would try the deuce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk