Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long to run the pump each day?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long to run the pump each day?

Any California peeps on here? As we transition into the fall months, I'm wondering how long to set the timers for my pump and vacuum to run each day? Temps have been in the 90s but will be dropping down to the 70/80 range. Nighttime temps get down to the 50s overnight. Pool specs are in my signature and my chlorine numbers are stable. Any input from the professionals on here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    15K gal. w/attached spa IG gunite/pebble, 2 skimmers, 1 floor drain, Hayward Pro Series high rate sand filter, Hayward max-flo pump, Pentair Mastertemp 200 Heater, Polaris pool cleaner, Taylor K-1005 test kit, city water restrictions, pool age >15yrs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long to run the pump each day?

There is a great article in pool school that, in summary, says "it depends" but also gives you some rules of thumb and guidelines.

Miley me see if I can find it...

- - - Updated - - -

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    Jon -- 28kgal, IG, AquaBright, Attached Spa, ~1990, Quad DE 80, Easytouch8, IntelliFloVS-3050, Intellichlor60, IntelliPh, Dolphin DX6, City Water, K-2006/TF-100, SpeedStir, SampleSizer, San Diego, CA

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for that! I've been running the pump about 4 hours a day so sounds like I should maintain that and could possibly drop to 2-3 hours in the cooler months when no one is swimming.
    15K gal. w/attached spa IG gunite/pebble, 2 skimmers, 1 floor drain, Hayward Pro Series high rate sand filter, Hayward max-flo pump, Pentair Mastertemp 200 Heater, Polaris pool cleaner, Taylor K-1005 test kit, city water restrictions, pool age >15yrs

4. Back To Top    #4

I usually go down to 1 hour per day during the winter without any issues. When it is really cold, I will sometimes just shut off the pump for a couple of weeks.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I run it with my pump on its slowest setting (just enough to trip the flow meter on my SWG) for 2x4 hours.

Mia's it cools off I will drop the 4, to 3, and 2. Probably overkill.
    Jon -- 28kgal, IG, AquaBright, Attached Spa, ~1990, Quad DE 80, Easytouch8, IntelliFloVS-3050, Intellichlor60, IntelliPh, Dolphin DX6, City Water, K-2006/TF-100, SpeedStir, SampleSizer, San Diego, CA

6. Back To Top    #6

The reason for this is that the power it takes to move water follows a 3rd power relationship.

Double the flow and you need 2x2x2 or 8x the amount of power. This is an oversimplification, but it translates largely in real life.

So, 80 GPM x 1 hour takes a lot more total power than 40 GPM for 2 hours.

Another way way to look at this is that at 1200 RPM, my filter pressure won't lift the needle off the 0 PSI mark. At 3x this RPM, it is at 20 PSI. So more than 20x the force with only 3x the speed.

So so why not run at the slowest speed? Well at some point the pump loses efficiency if you run it too slowly, and if you are trying to skim, you won't get enough flow to get the floating thinks off the surface.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the additional insight! My pump seems to be one speed. I will play with it and see how my water responds to the 1-2 hour limits as the temps dip.

8. Back To Top    #8

I run 2 hours a day in season. (May-Sept) (longer on weekends / heater running days)

2 hours per week off season. (Oct-Apr) (only for suction robot vac cleaning every saturday morning)
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

Does running the pump longer cause the chlorine to "burn off" quicker.

13K; IG Pebble sheen [4,5,4] with sun deck; 2hp pentair cleaning the water through a Clean and Clear Plus; 2hp pentair flowing the natural rock waterfall and 3/4 hp powering the 2011 Pentair legend (AKA "THE DUDE")

10. Back To Top    #10

No, chlorine is only burned off by oxidizing organic matter and to the sun.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    No, chlorine is only burned off by oxidizing organic matter and to the sun.
    Burn off might be the wrong word.

Does agitating the water by running pump cause any incremental chlorine loss vs chlorine loss with pump off?

13K; IG Pebble sheen [4,5,4] with sun deck; 2hp pentair cleaning the water through a Clean and Clear Plus; 2hp pentair flowing the natural rock waterfall and 3/4 hp powering the 2011 Pentair legend (AKA "THE DUDE")

12. Back To Top    #12

Burned off is fine, or used up or oxidized. Same answer. Pump on doesn't change anything.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach