Need some advice.
My father (who is in generally poor health and is still "with it" but getting worse) decided to stop taking care of his 15k gallon inground pool. In florida. In the middle of summer.
After 3 months, I returned home to discover that he essentially let the pool turn into a pond. He got tired of trying to clean the cartridge filter, etc, and even gave up his previous ritual of dumping a bag of shock into the pool once a week. At some point, he just turned off the pump.
No one has used in the pool in years, the finish is destroyed, but at least until a few months ago the water wasn't an actual health hazard.
So my question is, short of filling the pool with sand, and short of paying someone $100+ a month to maintain the pool (which is a tough pill to swallow considering all of the rest of his expenses that I am managing) what is the absolute least I can do to keep the pool at a tolerable-but-unswimmable situation? Let's pretend that I can get it to a less green state over the weekend that I am here.. if I REMOVE the filter entirely, and keep the chlorine levels super high, can I at least keep the algae and mosquitos at bay by running the pump (no filter) on a regular basis?
I realize this is an odd question and I'll be flamed every which direction - but I am at a loss for how to manage this.