Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Got a pipe installed, should I add a return?

1. Back To Top    #1

Got a pipe installed, should I add a return?

I have a 20.6" x 42.6" pool that has one skimmer, one main drain and two returns. There is a third pipe run that used to be for some cleaner or something but it is currently closed off. I was thinking about making this another return and piping it into the existing returns. This will be really easy as it is right next to it.

I have no use for it otherwise, is there any benefit to this?
    Otherwise, I was just going to cut the pipe by the filter side and cap it below ground.
    Christopher

21' x 43' IG 40K Gallon vinyl and concrete pool; liner: 2016; Hayward DE7220 filter; Maytronics M400; TFT-100; Speed-Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Got a pipe installed, should I add a return?

It might help, depends on location, etc. I doubt if it would hurt, and may lower back pressure on plumbing and increase your flow
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Another skimmer would be my first choice but another return can be beneficial as well. I would use it for one or the other.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Another skimmer would be my first choice but another return can be beneficial as well. I would use it for one or the other.
    The hole is already in place in the wall for a return, it's just got the border plate but no cut in the liner. Making it a return would be super simple. I'm sure it can be a skimmer too, but it is extremely close to the existing skimmer (within a foot or so).
    Christopher

21' x 43' IG 40K Gallon vinyl and concrete pool; liner: 2016; Hayward DE7220 filter; Maytronics M400; TFT-100; Speed-Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a 20.6" x 42.6" pool that has one skimmer, one main drain and two returns.
    Is the MD plumbed through the skimmer or are there two separate lines going to the pump from each.

If there is fairly high head loss on the suction side (single run) and you reduce the head loss on the return side with another separate return, it is possible that the pump could start to cavitate.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Is the MD plumbed through the skimmer or are there two separate lines going to the pump from each.

If there is fairly high head loss on the suction side (single run) and you reduce the head loss on the return side with another separate return, it is possible that the pump could start to cavitate.
    There are two pipes going up to a cut off valve that allows me to do 100% drain, 100% skimmer, or 50/50. Then there are two returns that go in via another pipe.
    Christopher

7. Back To Top    #7

That should be ok then.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater