Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dolphin Nautilus is off the track

1. Back To Top    #1

Dolphin Nautilus is off the track

I've been using Dolphin Nautilus pool cleaner for a couple of years now. But this year I noticed that one of the tracks started to come off and damage the rolls and the blue sweeps:

dolphin-off-tracks.jpg

On the picture I almost put it back where it should be but you can see the damaged "white roll" and the "blue sweeps". And of course once it gets there (every 20 minutes), it starts traveling in circles and I can see it takes an extra effort to spin that bad track.

Since now I closed the pool and I have time where do I start to fix it?
    Inground, plastered. 35K Gallon, 3' to 8.5' deep. Hayward SP2610X15 1.5hp. DE 48sq filter. 3 skimmers, 3 pool returns, 4 spa returns. 2 drains: shallow and deep ends.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dolphin Nautilus is off the track

Marinapoolspaandpatio.com has a lot of replacement parts for your Nautilus.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks, but how do I know what I need? I first want to understand whether this is a common problem with Dolphins / pool cleaners, and if it is, what it is usually caused by?
    Inground, plastered. 35K Gallon, 3' to 8.5' deep. Hayward SP2610X15 1.5hp. DE 48sq filter. 3 skimmers, 3 pool returns, 4 spa returns. 2 drains: shallow and deep ends.

4. Back To Top    #4

James,

Two things can happen to cause this. The most likely one is that the track gets a little longer over time, which allows it to come off the pulleys. My guess is that new tracks fix this about 80% of the time. The other problem is that the bearings in the pulleys and wheels under the side plate get worn and loose, which will also allow the track to come off. I say this based upon a couple of older Dolphins that I have rebuilt, but the newer ones look to have similar drive parts.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you Jimrahbe.

Looks like I need to get 4 things then: the pulley, the tracks, the foam climbing ring and potentially the brushes (since one side of a brush is completely eaten by the track).

Once I put it all together is there an easy way to check the issue is fixed? (The pool is already closed, but even if it was opened I would have to start the cleaner and wait for about 20, 30 minutes)

6. Back To Top    #6

James,

Not that I know of.. It is not a good idea to run the unit dry..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.