Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Pool Vac V-Flex Issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Pool Vac V-Flex Issue

Has anyone had any issues with the hose twisting after only a few months use?

I've had two V-Flex in the last 6 mos. I'm not happy with it. It works great for about 2-3 mos, then the turbine bearings develop an odd wear on one side of the lower body housing inside the "square" housing that contains the turbine. My guess is it's "odd" because of the way the A-frame rocks back and forth while the turbine bearings move. Anyway, what eventually happens is the cleaner continues to stops momentarily, but the cone gear (where the hose is connected) continues to turn. In a short amount of time (say 20-30 mins) the hose is now twisted. This essentially turns my 30' hose into a 8-10' hose. When the cleaner attempts to move beyond that 8-10' length of hose, it topples over in a direction to untwist the hose, causing the cleaner to tumble. Then, starts the process all over again. Needless to say, it has pretty much scratched up the outer housing of the cleaner.
    Kevin

17,000 gal IGP w/ Jacuzzi, Hayward V-Flex w/Pentair Vac Mate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Pool Vac V-Flex Issue

Interesting no one else has experienced this yet, though the V-Flex design is somewhat new compared to how long Hayward has been making pool cleaners. Anyway...

Two good things has come out of this.

1.) I figured out how to overcome the problem by inserting a 1/4" x 1 1/2" fender washer on the culprit side of the turbine. I've included pics below to show the issue and solution.

The "problem"...

The "cause"...

The "solution"...

Oh, the 2nd good thing to come of this.

After contacting Hayward and explaining the situation, I was then called back that evening to tell me a redesigned cleaning head was being delivered in my name to my local pool store. Seems Hayward knew there was a design problem that apparently they hadn't shared with the general public yet. Regardless, I'm happy it got resolved.

BTW, my "fix" has been working just fine, but I'm still going to accept the replacement head.
    Kevin

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

This is a problem that pops up once in a while and new product has been changed. We took care of this customer problem. You might want to remove the metal washer as it will rust over time.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Hayward Pool View Post
    This is a problem that pops up once in a while and new product has been changed. We took care of this customer problem. You might want to remove the metal washer as it will rust over time.
    I exchanged the old head with the new one yesterday shortly after I posted the above pics. I removed the washer before I exchanged. But yes, the washer had already started rusting. I imagine the alloy didn't much care for the chlorine and or acid in the pool? Regardless, the new design is much better. I think I'll be very happy with it. I have to say it was a pleasure dealing with Hayward on this!
    Kevin

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Hayward Pool View Post
    This is a problem that pops up once in a while and new product has been changed. We took care of this customer problem.
    I just got two of the V-flex Plus upgrade kits yesterday for my older Hayward Navigators and I'll be doing the upgrades tomorrow. These are supposed to be the latest V-flex version made by Hayward (PVCN206VFSL2-Rev A).

Until I get inside my old units I don't know if the OP's "rocking" issue will be a concern for me. I've had Navigators at two homes in Arizona for many, many years and alway do my own upkeep on them. The new V-flex is quite different so finding this post I wondered if you had any cautions or hints to share about upgrading the older style Navigators.

Thanks,
    Dave