Installing new booster pump, can I bypass it?

Nov 4, 2015
Garland, texas
Hello,

I love this website! Everyone is so helpful and I have learned a ton in the past few months! Had to buy a new booster pump, Polaris PB4-60 and will install it myself. My old Hayward 5060 is 10 years old and leaking (been repaired once) so I'm done with it. I have to run the VS pool pump at a lower RPM b/c the leaking is worse at the higher speed.

Anyway, I can handle installing the new pump but want to know why water runs through the booster pump when it's not running. Can I bypass it? I ask, b/c in the Winter I have a cover (blue roll in the photo) on my pool so nothing gets in the water and the water is so cold the tubing gets stiff and the Polaris doesn't move. Might as well bypass it if water does not need to run through it.

The photo has 2 markers in red b/c all white pvc looks the same to me if you were to refer to a certain pipe. :)
#1- is this pipe the main return for water to go back to the pool? The pipes to the right of it are for the 'gushers' on the tanning ledge.
#2- if I CAN bypass the booster is this where I would put a shutoff valve?
IMG_6888.jpg

As you can see my booster has water underneath it from leaking while the pool is running. :mad:

No reason to bypass it but you could put a valve at #2 location.

Why did you need to buy a new booster? The leak could be just a seal which can be replaced.

L,

I suggest you just cap off where you have #2 and buy yourself a robot... Booster pumps are so... well.. old, like a rotary phone. I assume you have a cell phone and flat screen TV, so why in the world do you still have a Polaris? :cool:

Putting a shut off valve at #2 is all you really have to do. This will keep water from getting to the booster pump. There is no need to "bypass" it.

If, as you say, the valves to the right of #1 are for your tanning ledge, then yes, the water going to your pool returns is all going through the pipe by your #1 tag.

Jim R.

I researched robot cleaners, but like my smart tv, they are expensive. I almost bought the Barracuda MX6 (same cost as the booster pump) but I got hung up on having to remove it to add chemicals and that small debris would go straight to the filters and I hate cleaning those darn things! Why does it have to be removed to add chemicals? I like that the side suction cleaners don't require additional electrical like the pump. I'd appreciate input on those if anyone has them. I can still be swayed....:)

I no longer use my booster pump, but I like that the water is flowing through it because it adds a third return to my pool to help with water circulation. I bought a quick disconnect eyeball jet so when I don't have my polaris fountain running then I have an extra jet.

Another note about your picture, on another thread here I read that Polaris recommends running flexible PVC to and from the booster pump. This is really the only place the flexible PVC is preferred. I think it is due to the water hammer when the pump starts and stops.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.