Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why do you want that in your pool????

1. Back To Top    #1

Why do you want that in your pool????

So I go to my local hardware guy, nice mom and pop store, very knowledgeable on many things in the past, to pick up some MA to bring down the TA in prep for adding boric acid to raise borates. As a Side comment while I am paying I asked "Do you sell Boric Acid?". He says "Why? You have cockroaches or ants?" "Nope, going to add it to my pool." Silence and a look from him like I got three heads. "Why would you add it to your pool?" "To raise borate level, helps stabilize pH, guard against algae, more sparkly water". "Been doing this 40 years, never heard of that. You want soft water in the pool not hard water." At that point I backed out as I didn't feel ike explaining troublefreepool, Pool School, etc.

I realize his lack of knowledge doesn't mean much but what did he mean by saying I need soft water and not hard? Can someone school me on it? I was surprised as his hardware store is smack in the middle of a 1,000 swimming pools...seems like he would have run across it at some point!

Thanks in advance for any comments!
    2006 IG 18.6K gal marcite saltwater w/integrated 800 gal spa, spillover, 2 Main and 2 Spa Drains, 2 Skimmers
    Goldline Aqua Logic PS-8, Aqua Pod Remote, Hayward GLX-Cell-15-W SWG, Hayward Pool Vac XL, Cartridge filter, single speed pump
    Taylor K-2006, Lamotte Borate Strips

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why do you want that in your pool????

Water on the softer side feels better to your skin. PoolMath will calculate your CSI after you enter your test results. Borates changes the CSI a little. But, it is easy to move CSI a little to offset it. Ideal CSI is -0.3 to 0.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

<speculation> He's prolly equating soft water with less stuff in solution. Excess calcium can be a problem with hard fill water, so a naive assumption might be that more dissolved stuff in the water is a "bad thing".</speculation>

I wouldn't sweat his comment.
    Last edited by foobert; 09-29-2016 at 05:54 PM. Reason: clarity.
    ~john
    24.5K G, pebble, SuperFlo VS 1.5, 48sq DE filter, Hayward H250FDN, Autopilot RC-52, Poolvergnuegen & 3 daily swimmers in season.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Like foobert, I think he was just making a false assumption about hard and soft water.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. I could tell by the look on his face that he hadn't a clue about what I was doing. I am not knowledgeable enough to explain so I backed out of it. Just curious about his comment.
    2006 IG 18.6K gal marcite saltwater w/integrated 800 gal spa, spillover, 2 Main and 2 Spa Drains, 2 Skimmers
    Goldline Aqua Logic PS-8, Aqua Pod Remote, Hayward GLX-Cell-15-W SWG, Hayward Pool Vac XL, Cartridge filter, single speed pump
    Taylor K-2006, Lamotte Borate Strips

6. Back To Top    #6

That's ok, there are lots of people who are truly knowledgeable on pool water that aren't that aware of using Borates. Personally, I think we sometimes make too much of it here even though I fully realize it's potential. It is completely optional, and often gets those new to TFPC distracted from the essential core elements of what a pool needs. It's also somewhat expensive for those with larger pools.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem