newby to geothermal Hayward indoor pool

Sep 29, 2016
Lewisberry Pa
Hello
My wife and I recently purchased a home and it came with an indoor pool! Lucky Me! Now, when I saw this house, I saw a few tri axels of stone and a fine garage set up. Well, we all know how that goes with the kids and the wife. So I have some learning to do.

To start, it is a 12X60X6 indoor salt wate pool. It has a Climatemaster Geothermal heat pump. The Hayward control system broke, so I decided to replace it with Hayward Omni Logic system and an Eco star pump. Now, I have the chlorinator and sense and dispense system, but they are currently not hooked up.

Im getting air in the filter system as well as the pump. I will be checking the connections to see if there is a leak at the suction side. Would this affect the geothermal heat pump? It is not heating and seems to be freezing up.

I still need to install the OMNI Logic because I am fixing one thing at a time. Any input on installation would be great as I cant see spending thousands more on the equipment as well a thousands on installation.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Air in the pump/filter is a suction side leak as you have surmised. More here about tracking that down, Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Is the pool the geo-source for the heat pump? Is the climate master heat exchanger plumbed directly into the pool filter/circulation plumbing? And therefore pool water is circulated through the climate master water to air heat exchanger? Or is there a water to water heat exchange? Does the climate master water pump circulate the water?

We have geothermal for our house but it isn't tied in with the pool. I seriously considered it but decided not to when we had to replace our 15 year old Florida Heat Pump geothermal heat pump last February and we chose Climate Master. It is a great great unit.

I know you likely have a lot going on right now, but when you get a chance I would suggest reading over this recent thread started by another new indoor pool owner, as it covers a lot of ground that may also apply to your pool.

On a separate note, you may want to look at liquid chlorination options in order to more effectively control your FC/CYA ratio and avoid those CC build up problems that can cause so many issues with air quality in an indoor pool.

here is that link Indoor pool chemical problem