Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner, pool needs draining?

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry New pool owner, pool needs draining?

Hello forum glad to have found you and looks like ill be spending a lot of time on here learning so may as well get aquainted lol. Well long story short just moved to a place and the company is saying they reccomend draining and cleaning the pool etc. I have yet to post all the specs of the pool and equipment yet, so that Ill get to when im back home as well as ordering the test kit, of the two which would you most reccomend?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner, pool needs draining?

I love my K-2006C, especially the CYA test components.

3. Back To Top    #3

ok had to google that one lol I noticed a lot of talk about the tf100 as well are they virtually the same ?

- - - Updated - - -

and in the meantime could i take a water sample to the local Leslies to see what is going on with my pool?

4. Back To Top    #4

You can peruse this link: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

No, don't bother with Leslie's. wait for your own kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

What did you google?

6. Back To Top    #6

I think the tf-100 is the best bang for the buck as it has more of the regents for what we test daily.

Here is a link to our pool care schedule:

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

The Speedstir is also a great addition, and it makes you look like the mad scientist that you are about to become...
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Taylor is the manufacturer of the kit and tests. The TF100 is a repackage of Taylor components with bottle sizes that are suited for use in the TFP Method. If you buy a K2006C, you'll likely end up needing more CYA reagent, DPD Powder, and R-0871 before too long.

But for me, I didn't care that I had to buy any more of that stuff later. The cost difference was minimal and I like having the Taylor box and kit. Mostly that is because I've been using a Taylor test kit of some kind for the last 20+ years.

I also agree with the Speedstir being a great addition. And the sample sizer. I absolutely love being able to grab a water sample and not have to eyeball the water level, and then go to my testing table and let the speedstir do all the stirring. I have to admit though, I didn't buy either of those things initially. I went without at first to save the cash, but quickly ordered them anyway.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by camueller View Post
    Taylor is the manufacturer of the kit and tests. The TF100 is a repackage of Taylor components with bottle sizes that are suited for use in the TFP Method. If you buy a K2006C, you'll likely end up needing more CYA reagent, DPD Powder, and R-0871 before too long.

But for me, I didn't care that I had to buy any more of that stuff later. The cost difference was minimal and I like having the Taylor box and kit. Mostly that is because I've been using a Taylor test kit of some kind for the last 20+ years.

I also agree with the Speedstir being a great addition. And the sample sizer. I absolutely love being able to grab a water sample and not have to eyeball the water level, and then go to my testing table and let the speedstir do all the stirring. I have to admit though, I didn't buy either of those things initially. I went without at first to save the cash, but quickly ordered them anyway.
    Ok all info is MUCH appreciated, being as I got the , " Fine the pool is YOURS you take care of it" last night.......so she cancelled the cleaning Appt. lol and i wont say it to her but ill admit to you guys, yeah im a TAD bit nervous.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Don't be.

Read pool school carefully, and don't be afraid to come to us immediately the moment anything looks "off". You'll end up with a pool snob significant other in no time.

Honestly, between the two, I'd go TF-100 and definitely add the speed-stir. The moment you get your testing kit, post a set of full numbers (and don't forget to add your pool details to your signature) and we'll get you on the right track in no time.

I too came here because Leslie's told me I needed to drain the pool. It turned out that I did have to do it after all, but now I know enough to avoid having to drain again for a long, long time.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

11. Back To Top    #11

Just to add one more voice to the matter, I would pick the TF-100,for me it is about results not about looks of the box. Sure the K-2006 box looks neater with all the matching size bottle all in their little nooks. However when a test like the FAS-DPD chlorine test requires 5 drops of reagent A and maybe 10-20 drops of reagent B, why would you want matching size bottles? Instead the TF-100 which has a little less professional looking organizing box includes .75 ounces of reagent A and 2 ounces of reagent B.

Ike

(A and B are just for easy reading, actual numbers are R-0871 and R-0003, there is also R-0870 powder used in the test)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

ALL advice is needed and welcomed, so ill give a update after a lot of nerves and prayers last night the original guy who inspected the pool and knew everything in and out has said he will help me drain and fill etc, illl be taking TONS of notes heck probly even video it.......But first things first, what things should i ask the city as far as where to drain, water level line etc.........and i know from him mentioning beffore we need a different drain at bottom per new california regulations and someone getting sucked in? as well as a new light, so your reccomendations........

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Start with some Google searches for your city/county. Most of them have a "so you want to drain your pool" flyer that talks about requirements. Then call your water department and let them know you'd like to drain/fill, and tell them how much water you'll need. See if they have any limitations or other issues with it (sometimes, they'll grant you a discount once in a while).

With regards to your light/drain - unless you're remodeling (or have serious concerns), the drain may be fine as is. What does the current drain look like?
    The light - what is wrong with it?
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

14. Back To Top    #14

TF-100 and speedstir.

So, what does the pool look like right now? Is it a green swamp? Is the plaster stained? Current code may dictate that new construction have two main drains several feet a part. I don't think that it would require you to go back and change it. That sounds like an expensive repair. I wonder if you need a new light BULB.....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo View Post
    TF-100 and speedstir.

So, what does the pool look like right now? Is it a green swamp? Is the plaster stained? Current code may dictate that new construction have two main drains several feet a part. I don't think that it would require you to go back and change it. That sounds like an expensive repair. I wonder if you need a new light BULB.....
    Well ill check with the city on pools age etc as im curious but maybe 30 years is my guess based on the guy that built it which thankfully was considered the best pool builder. Went ahead with the drain and fill, we are code compliant with the pool drain, whew less cost lol, we are changing the pool light and gasket. The pool guy that originally inspected it knew his stuff backword and forward so I was comfortable with him and trusted him. Heck had him his wife and son over for bbq and beer that night lol. I may have a new BFF, so today at some point well finish the fill. Older pool but built by a master pool builder plaster has held up remarkably well for its age. I even added some stats to my Sig, slowly learning
    30,000 ? Gallons gunite plaster Spa flowing In, 2 Hayward super 2hp, 1 1/2 Booster,Hayward Swimclear C5025, Solar Pool Heating