SLAM with a cartridge filter?

Jun 1, 2015
Mobile, AL
We moved and I wasn't able to keep an eye on the pool, like I was doing. The filter/SWG combo stopped working and hubby hooked up the filter system that came with the pool (lame, I know). So, for now, we have cartridge filters. I'm just not sure how to deal with them (at all), especially during a SLAM. We had zero CYA showing and Hubby dumped two gallons of bleach in around the same time he added stabilizer (last weekend). The water is no longer obviously green, but, is very cloudy.

Here are the current #'s.

FC .4
CC .6
pH 7.5
TA 75
CYA 60 (this may go a bit higher - he added it in two batches and the second one was on Sunday)

What do we need to do on a regular basis, now that there is no SWG? And the filter...do you rinse them? Change them out? How often? I sure do want my sand and salt back!

Hi Dave!

He just does whatever I say he needs to do to it. He had to go out of town for 4 days, so, I told him to go ahead with the two gallons of bleach. It did manage to get rid of the green tinge in the pool. The water is just really cloudy now (it was before the bleach anyway). He will be back today and we will be tackling it over the weekend. I will be able to keep a closer eye on it now, than I have been doing. At least every other day. Getting the property ready to sell. Just not wanting to leave a disaster in the backyard for someone else.

Just rinse the filters with your garden hose and a pressure nozzle. If the filters are small, you may need to rinse them out often - daily at least. But most important is to maintain the proper SLAM FC level based on your CYA. Last tested your CYA was 60, so your FC should be "24". If the CYA climbs more later, then you'll need to increase the FC a little more as well based on the Chlorine/CYA Chart. If you're still at that house, you'll want to test fairly often to keep the FC at 24 around the clock 24/7 as much as you can until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Remember to follow all the other instructions on the SLAM page (i.e. brushing, etc) and you'll do fine.

Good luck!

Almost forgot .. reminder - lower the pH to 7.2 before pumping-up that FC. :)

Just rinse the filters with your garden hose and a pressure nozzle. If the filters are small, you may need to rinse them out often - daily at least. But most important is to maintain the proper SLAM FC level based on your CYA. Last tested your CYA was 60, so your FC should be "24". If the CYA climbs more later, then you'll need to increase the FC a little more as well based on the Chlorine/CYA Chart. If you're still at that house, you'll want to test fairly often to keep the FC at 24 around the clock 24/7 as much as you can until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Remember to follow all the other instructions on the SLAM page (i.e. brushing, etc) and you'll do fine.

Good luck!

Almost forgot .. reminder - lower the pH to 7.2 before pumping-up that FC. :)

Great! I'm right on track with my plan then! Lower pH, recheck CYA, clean filter well, start slamming, clean filter often, and keep at it until it passes the test! Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.