Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure Test

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure Test

Hi all,
    We had our new pool's plumbing installed 2 weeks ago and they put 23lbs of pressure in the line to pressure test. There has been a ton of activity back there during those 2 weeks (tile, coping, stonework, deck forming, rebar, sand) and I noticed that the gauge has dropped to 20lbs. There has been about an overall 10-15 degree drop in temperature during that time. The decking is getting poured in 2 days and want to be sure that there aren't any leaks before hand.

Should I be concerned with a 3lb drop in pressure over 2 weeks or is that normal?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure Test

When my pool was being built early this year we had the same issue. It was due to the weather change. If there was a leak there would be zero pressure after a day or so. Probably nothing to worry about.

30,000 Gallon Pool IG (Pool 18' X 38' / Spa 7' X 7') - Pentair IC40 SWG - (1) Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Pump - Pentair DE FNS-Plus 60 Filter - Pentair Mastertemp 400 Heater - Pentair Easytouch 8 - Pentair Electronic valves - Pentair 5G Color LED Pool/Spa Lights - Pebble Sheen Mini Tahoe Blue - Auto Fill/Over Flow - Taylor K-2006C - Completion 3/2016.

3. Back To Top    #3

If you only lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks, you're good.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PlanoDave View Post
    Should I be concerned with a 3lb drop in pressure over 2 weeks or is that normal?
    I wouldn't be concerned with a 3 lb change. Since water is incompressible and the piping & equipment is made from fairly rigid materials, it wouldn't take much of a leak to drop that pressure to zero over the span of 2 weeks. Only a small amount would have to leak out to relieve the pressure. It's not like your car tire that can have a small leak and still hold pressure.

Dave - Aqua Leader Elegance AGP 15'x30'x 54", 12k gallons, vinyl liner ... Hayward/SwimPro Voyager pump SW159412STL, 2hp, 2spd, Hayward/Voyager 175sf element filter SW175MDDVPAKS, Installed August 2016 ... Liquid Chlorine, Stenner, Woods 50015 timer ... TF-100 .... CYA/Chlorine Chart ... Recommended Levels ... Basic Care Schedule ... Extended-Test-Kit-Directions ... ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry