Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with calculating pool water volume

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with calculating pool water volume

Hi there, could not really find a good place to post this so here goes...if it needs to be moved no problem there. Im getting conflicting answers on water volume. We have lived in the house a year and its a custom pool with no standard shape. I have attached a pic of what the builder gave to the previous owners....nowhere does it show on any of the pool paperwork how much water is in this pool. In order to make adjustments, which I haven't done very well so far, I need this. I was told 24000 gallons but using the calculators I have come across its hsowing a lot more. The particulars are in the upper left corner......Can I get some thoughts here on how much volume?

Thanks!pool sketch.jpg
    Hayward Aqua Rite Salt pool
    Dolphin cleaner/PoolCleaner
    Pentair Triton II filter
    Heater
    approx. 24000 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with calculating pool water volume

Without detailed measurements it will be hard to say, but I suspect the 24,000 gallon guess is in the right ballpark, which may mean 25,000 or even 27,000 gallons,

Without knowing the bottom profile, particularly in the deep end this is all a guess though, at the top end of the range it might even be 32,000 or so
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

If you look up "chemical method pool volume" in the search bar, user onBalance describes a chemical method for getting pretty close to your exact water volume. It does require quite a bit of TA test reagents to do the test but it does work.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

I would break each section of pool into blocks. Then use length x width x height in inches divided by 231. That's how I find gallon volume in aquariums. Let's say you have a 6' x 2' x 2' aquarium...72x24x24=41472. Divide by 231= 180 gallons approximately! So if you have the deep end which is 10' by 20' and is 7' deep it is 120x240x84231. That would be 10,470 gallons or so.

6500 gallon SummerWaves AGP. Taylor k-2006, skimmer/pump all in one included with the pool. City water

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JEC11718 View Post
    I would break each section of pool into blocks. Then use length x width x height in inches divided by 231. That's how I find gallon volume in aquariums. Let's say you have a 6' x 2' x 2' aquarium...72x24x24=41472. Divide by 231= 180 gallons approximately! So if you have the deep end which is 10' by 20' and is 7' deep it is 120x240x84231. That would be 10,470 gallons or so.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Great idea I'll try that!

Hayward Aqua Rite Salt pool
    Dolphin cleaner/PoolCleaner
    Pentair Triton II filter
    Heater
    approx. 24000 gallons