Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just ruined my second shirt pouring bleach...

1. Back To Top    #1

Just ruined my second shirt pouring bleach...

What's the trick to not splash it?!? The first time I was rushing to put 3 whole bottles in while walking around the deep end. Then today, I slowed down, held it low to the water and it still splashed and got me. What are some tips and tricks for pouring bleach in and not ruining clothes?!?
    ~14k Gallon IG Plaster (old)
    Hayward DE 4280 Filter
    Pentair Superflo SS Pump
    Built 1993
    Old Broken Heater that needs to get replaced!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just ruined my second shirt pouring bleach...

First thing is always have your "pool clothes" on as even the most experienced of us tend to have some accidents. As for pouring bleach (or acid for that matter), always do it very slowly with the pump running and pour near the return jet(s). Keep the bottle opening as low as possible (close to the water) and take your time. Clothes can be replaced, but skin and care to eyesight is even more important. Take your time and be safe out there.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Put the bottle in the water, turn upside down, and squeeze the bleach out by smashing the bottle.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

4. Back To Top    #4

Wear pool clothes and you will NEVER get it on you! Wear your bestest, favorite shirt that your kids just gave you=you WILL get it on you

I have a thick shirt that I keep by my chlorine that I put on over my "good" clothes if there is some reason I cannot change. That seems to work for me.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I float the jug in the water to pour, the jug opening is less than inch above the water and no splash ever. Same for muriatic acid. And I usually add bleach topless.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6
    TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    ....... And I usually add bleach topless.
    LOL, that's priceless!

I do the same as others have mentioned, keep the bottle/measuring cup as close to the water as possible, and pour slowly into a return jet water stream.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Wait a second you put 3 jugs of bleach into a 14,000 gallon pool, that would boost your FC by what nearly 20 ppm?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Wait a second you put 3 jugs of bleach into a 14,000 gallon pool, that would boost your FC by what nearly 20 ppm?
    Yeah, if you see my other thread I was taking it to slam while on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hayward DE 4280 Filter
    Pentair Superflo SS Pump
    Built 1993

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a pitcher and I took a sharpie and drew lines marking the most often used ounces. I pour into that first then I dump into the pool and use the pitcher itself to mix the water in the the pool.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Wow too funny-I ruined a brand new Vinyard Vines "birthday" shirt fr the wife this a.m. I was careful (I thought)
    30,000 gallon gunite swg, 3HP VSP, Pentair TA-100D, 8' spa w table/water feature, waterfall and PCC 2000 infloor

11. Back To Top    #11

"while walking around the deep end" -- the trick is NOT to do this. Instead, go to a return, kneel down in a comfortable and stable position, open the cap, reach the bottle down into the water, and tip it to slowly pour. The chlorine (or acid) shouldn't need to pour more than a few inches. You do have to slow down in any case; it should take a minute or so to pour a gallon in a nice smooth stream right into the return's flow.

Walking around IMO gives too many opportunities to trip, slip, or splash because you are pouring from too high up. The stream from the return will distribute it far better than you ever could walking around anyway.
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome to the polka-dot club. Get on your knees, bud!

13. Back To Top    #13

I often pour the bleach underwater. Put it in a measuring cup, slowly submerge the cup entirely, and then pour. Just make sure your hand holding the cup is upstream in the circulation, and no problem. You can see the bleach pour out of the cup underwater. I started doing this when adding bleach or pool chlorine while the solar cover is on -- just folded back a small area of the cover, and did the underwater pour six inches to a foot under the water surface (I thought it would be better for the cover if it wasn't resting directly on a high chlorine concentration). I never get bleach on my skin doing this, judging by feel and smell. If I ever had to add MA (we've never needed to do this, so have no direct experience) I would be inclined to try the same underwater method.

I did get bleach spots on some pants this summer -- a few drops must have escaped while I was carrying the cup over to the pool. Old clothes would have been a good idea... oh well...
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

14. Back To Top    #14

Pour it slowly, close to the water, in front of your return. No need to walk around with it.

I have ruined more clothes using bleach foamer to clean the kitchen sink than I have adding bleach to my pool. I did knock over a quart of bleach in the pool shed once. It really cleaned up the wooden shelf it was on, but it did a number on my pants

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Welcome to the polka-dot club. Get on your knees, bud!
    Haha I'm used to saying that, not being told that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hayward DE 4280 Filter
    Pentair Superflo SS Pump
    Built 1993

16. Back To Top    #16

Yep, I have quite the collection of pool clothes now!!
    41K gal, IG, vinyl, Hayward Pro Series sand filter (model S244T), Hayward Super Pump, Hayward chlorine feeder, TF-100, Dolphin M400

17. Back To Top    #17

Splashing comes from pouring too quickly from an unvented bottle and/or pouring from too high above the water. You can vent the bottle by stabbing a hole in the bottom once you've turned it over. Bingo: the air has a way into the jug that doesn't interfere with the bleach coming out. Of course, adding sharp knives to this may not be the best thing to do. Be careful out there.

I just rest the bottle on the coping right above the return, try to pour without much splashing and cheerfully watch the jet dissipate the bleach. But our pool isn't all that big and doesn't take much bleach.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.