Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFP Metal Treatment Reccomendation

1. Back To Top    #1

New York

TFP Metal Treatment Reccomendation

I have looked through the forum and I can't find a reccomended TFP method to treat metals, just a bunch of discussions.

My pool store has the following two products:
    Metal Free by Natural Chemistry
    Metal Klear by SeaKlear (now owned by Natural chemistry)

I also found this product that claims to remove the metals:

The Copper test kit is not that expensive, but the Iron test kit is a bit expensive. The Pool store by me has strips that show both. Should I find a pool store that has the better test kit?
    21' x 28" Grecian Vinyl Pool (@17k gallons) with Pentair SuperfloVS VS, Hayward sand filter with Zeosand, and Hayward gas heater. Pentair EasyTouch 4PSC-IC40 (Pentair IC40 SWG), and Screen Logic interface. 2 skimmers with main drain on the intake side and two primary returns with two low flow bubbler returns at the stairs. Aquabot pool cleaner. TF-100 Test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: TFP Metal Treatment Reccomendation

Treating metals is pretty complex and varies by pool, source of metals and type of metals. We typically recommend letting the Pool Store test for metals. One problem is that metal tests test the water for metals. So, if the metals are in a stain or bound up in sequestrant then the test will show 0 even though metal is present.

The most important thing is to find the source of the metal and eliminate it, if possible.

CUlator seems to work but there isn't enough data to say how much copper it will actually remove and it is fairly expensive.

Have you seen this article? Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

There are a few folks around who can help. And there are lots of old threads by people trying to deal with metals.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach