What filter with paramount cleaning system

Sep 27, 2016
New York, NY
Was curious what kind of filter people are using successfully with the paramount cleaning system, I currently use the Hayward EC-65 DE filter and can't stand it. I have to constantly take it apart and clean the filter to keep the pressure up in the operating range for the cleaning system. Is there a better filter that people could recommend? Pool is in ground 12x24 12,000 gallons, chlorinated. Thanks in advance!

In floor systems are hard on de, cartridge filters, because of the higher pressures, and the uneven pressure that occurs when the valve changes stations, which change from maybe 25psi then goes to 20 then 27 when a new station starts, a few minutes later, it does it again, unlike a pool without an in floor where the psi is 13psi and only gradually gets higher after a week maybe to 20 or so. not all valves are like this, but older ones, and valves that need repair,etc do.
Sand filters have always been the preferred filter to use, the best thing you should do is to ask a manufacturer what they prefer, i am pretty sure they would never honor any warranty on a de filter that they discovered was used with an in floor system, so ask them, a lot of the de cartridge filter tanks i have seen split were installed on in floor pools, you can actually watch the tank swell up when the pump is turned on, from the high pressures. so...

Luckily in all the years I've had the pool the filter never swelled up or cracked, and I've gone through 2 Hayward EC65 filters in about 20 years. My main issue is with having to take it apart every time it gets clogged to clean it. So many nuts and bolts and it's also a p.i.t.a to clean the fingers

I have been a pool repair tech for 25 years in Phoenix,AZ.
I have worked on thousands of pools (I AM NOT A POOL CLEANER)

95% of in floor cleaning systems I have worked on over the years use 4.9 sq. ft. sand filters.
On the in floor pools i have seen with cartridge, or D.E. filters being used, makes me understand why they should have sand filters, in floor systems are just harder on them.

I have never seen a "bump" D.E. filter on any pool in Phoenix, I might use one for a small fish tank in a child's bedroom, or a child's pool that i had to inflate, but that's all (that means i think there a joke)

Any pool builder that would install that on a pool that you didn't have to inflate should be punched in the face (more humor)

I am almost afraid to ask what kind of fish pump, i mean pool pump you have, the fact you have not gone insane after 20 years is amazing, you need to get rid of that filter, and upgrade to a much larger, and appropriate filter for an in floor system.

I haven't visited this thread in a while, but it almost time to open up the pool here in NY and I still haven't replaced the filter yet, Pool&spa any recommendations on a type of sand filter? Pool is 12x24 approx 12,000 gallons. The pump in using is a Hayward 1.5hp pump. I didn't know anything about pools when my parent had it installed over 20 years ago, but after 20 years of maintaining and repairing it ive learned a lot. Thanks to all of you who've responded and will continue to respond. Your information and time is much appreciated!

I reached out to paramount direct to inquire about what filter type they recommend for use with their system and they wrote this:

"DE filters are very good but somewhat messy getting rid of the DE. Most sales have gone to cartage filters. They are a pain to clean when it comes time so most installs are 300 sq. ft. or more so you can get by with one to two cleans a year. I don't recommend a sand filter as they have a lot of pressure loss that can affect the cleaning system. Minimum size DE filter is 48 Sq. Ft. and as I said I would not put less than a 300 Sq. Ft. cartage filter on and the bigger the better."

So going with that I got a Hayward C5030, my question now is how far from the pump can I plumb the filter? Does it need to be directly next to it or can there be a few feet in between?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.