Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to forum

1. Back To Top    #1

New to forum

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and somewhat new to pool care. I purchased a house in January 2016 with a salt water pool and connected spa. So far my pools chemistry has been a massive roller coaster going from great to dark forest green within a matter of a few days. I have read pool school and feel like I understand it but don't understand why my pool chemistry can be great one day and horrible the next.
    22k gal., in ground plaster pool and spa, Hayward salt cell, Hayward navigator pool vacuum,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to forum

Hi! SO glad you found TFP! Your user name say it all LOL

You say you have read pool school but I do not see a mention of a test kit. Let us know how you have been testing your water and we can go from there.

Between a good test kit, pool school and other readings, and the helpful people here on TFP your pool can be clean and clear with no more roller coasters.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Many of us hanging around to help as you need it. Enjoy the forum.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4
    TFP Guide

Happy to help you out once we have the information we need.

This is a good introduction to TFPC: TFPC for Beginners

With respect to your question, the pool water chemistry may not be changing from one day to the next, but algae is always lurking and environmental conditions and use of the pool changes from day to day. Sometimes a combination of factors along with less than adequate water chemistry results in sudden algae blooms.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | FC / CYA Chart | Read Before Posting | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post

Between a good test kit, pool school and other readings, and the helpful people here on TFP your pool can be clean and clear with no more roller coasters.

Kinda harsh Kim - what did I do to YOU?!

Welcome Greenpool. Do you plan to buy a test kit?
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair Superflo VS pump, TF-100 kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpool36 View Post
    . So far my pools chemistry has been a massive roller coaster going from great to dark forest green within a matter of a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollercoastr View Post
    Kinda harsh Kim - what did I do to YOU?!
    Hey now! He started it! LOL to RC!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

LOLing at some roller coaster hate!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach