Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pump Necessary?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pump Necessary?

Our pump US Motors Model No. K63CXESE-4792 has sprung a small leak along the rusty clamp that holds it together. I'm trying to determine if we can just replace the clamp or need to get a whole new pump. Of course, the pool store said it's almost as expensive to replace the clamp as the whole pump, so why not just replace the whole pump. Seems nonsensical to me, so I'm looking to this forum to fact check that for me and perhaps tell me where to find it. I've not had much luck on the Internet.

If I do in fact, need a whole new pump, which brand, size is best for a 14K gallon salt pool with spa, two skimmers, no deep end....waterfall and vacuum on separate pump?

Thanks, all

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New Pump Necessary?

James,

Welcome to TFP...

I doubt it is just the clamp, more likely a seal between the motor and the pump.

If you can post a picture of the pump and motor assembly, I'll bet you'll get a better response.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP5200 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree a photo would help, it sounds like this may be a store brand pump, not one from one of the major pump makers
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Attached are four photos. The first shows the actual leak location in the lower left. The others show the pump. It's difficult to get a good shot of it. The last is the label off the pump. When I googled it, the maker appears to be Emerson?
    IMG_20160927_154035600.jpgIMG_20160927_154054445.jpgIMG_20160927_154108013.jpgIMG_20160927_120942853.jpg

Thanks for your assistance!

5. Back To Top    #5

The leak looks like it is from the pipe connection to the pump. It also looks like someone tried to repair it once? I think you could dry off the area and then see where it comes out first.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

If you look closely at the very first photo you can see the rust point on the metal band on the lower left and can actually see the water spraying out in the photo. I have a video, but don't see how to post it.

Yes, there is also a tiny drip from the pipe connection that has been repaired once...needs it again. Was waiting to see if the metal band meant a whole new pump.
    14K gallon salt pool with spa. Two skimmers. Waterfall and vacuum on separate pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, I missed that. But I don't think that is the band unless the band does not close properly. However, that could be the gasket/o-ring that is no longer sealing. That can be replaced fairly easily. Have you taken it apart to inspect?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

I haven't. Clearly the band is rusted ...almost through...and would need to be replaced. Searching to find if that is even a part that I can purchase before taking next steps.
    14K gallon salt pool with spa. Two skimmers. Waterfall and vacuum on separate pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

You might be better off replacing it with a more economic 2 speed or variable speed pump
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

I believe that is a Challenger pump (motor is not relevant) and you can find the parts here:

PAC-FAB / TRITON CHALLENGER pool pump parts, Discount parts for PAC-FAB CHALLENGER pumps

Or most any pool store.
    Mark

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks. Will take a look at the link and see if I have more questions.