Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spring 2017 - Converting from Baquacil to Chlorine!

1. Back To Top    #1

Spring 2017 - Converting from Baquacil to Chlorine!

I have used Baquacil since 2008 and over the past two seasons I have started dealing with cloudy water and slime. Two days ago I discovered the pool had turned green and from reading on this site I knew it was time to dump Baquacil. I am waiting until next next spring to convert as I will have more time then and I am in the process of closing the pool for the winter.

My question - is it OK to drain my sand filter and leave the sand rather than remove it like I normally do? I know I will need to replace all of the sand after the conversion in the spring. Or should I remove the sand for closing, and buy enough sand in the spring to replace it twice?

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    13.7K Doughboy AG 16'x32'x4' oval, Pentair Pump, AquaStar Sand Filter, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spring 2017 - Converting from Baquacil to Chlorine!

How much sand are we talking about here? I suppose it depends on how much pool sand costs you.

Is it possible to remove and store the sand? Or can you remove the filter from the equipment pad with the sand in place and store the entire filter some place where it will not freeze?

Given how much money you will be saving by ditching the Baqua-$il, paying extra for sand will be nothing.

Just remember to close the pool and don't add anymore Baqua sanitizer. You want the sanitizer levels as low as possible next spring to make the conversion go quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

And absolutely positively DO NOT listen to the pool stores next spring when/if you tell them you're converting to chlorine. They always give the wrong advice by telling people to add chlorine shock that contains stabilizer in it which makes the conversion take forever.

With that said, put a Taylor K-2006(C) or TF-100 with XL option AND a SpeedStir on your Christmas list....you'll need it when you do the conversion...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the quick response and great information.

The filter with sand in it would be impossible to move and sand isn't very expensive so I will follow my normal process and remove it for the winter and buy twice as much in the spring. I have added the test kit to my shopping list along with buying chlorine at Walmart or Costco.

I will be reading and re-reading the conversion forums to prep me for next April and will document and post pictures as I move through the process. This is the best site, by far, for providing information on pool care and my thanks to everyone who participates and helps those of us that are less experienced.
    13.7K Doughboy AG 16'x32'x4' oval, Pentair Pump, AquaStar Sand Filter, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Spring is almost here and I am getting closer to converting to chlorine. Does it matter how cold the water is when I start the conversion? My goal is to start in mid to late April and the average daytime temps should be mid to upper 60's and nighttime temps mid to upper 40's, in our area.

5. Back To Top    #5

Should be just fine. Better to start early when no one is swimming. Do you have a pool light? I only ask because you need to be able to pull the light if you have one.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Like most every chemical reaction, those involved in converting your pool will be just a bit slower in colder weather. It is likely to be physically uncomfortable, too.

In your region, I would be tempted to wait until about May 1.

After saying that, if you are ready and eager to get started, you can certainly convert anytime as long as it's not freezing!!

The conversion is remarkably similar to a SLAM but be sure to re-read the conversion article and follow it religiously.

Ask lot's of questions.....we'll help every step of the way.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

.....and please take pictures of the process! If there is still any Bacqua in the water it can produce some very *groovy* color changes
    Maddie- TFP Guide. 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

No I do not have a light but thanks for double checking.