Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Faded liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Faded liner

After 1 year of having my pool I feel the liner is pretty faded. I pulled out my wedding steps yesterday and there was a significant color difference in that area verse the rest of the pool. It was even worse where the suction cups of the ladder were. Is this natural to see this or is it possible I was running bleach a little higher then I should of?

Pretty typical results all year

pH-7.6
    Cya-30
    FC-5
    Ch-100
    TA-140
    Borates-50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    19k 27' round AG vinyl pool, 1.5hp Malibu 2-speed pump, waterway clearwaterII cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Faded liner

All liners fade over time, it is hard to say from the photos if this is just normal ageing or if it was a chemical balance issue.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah the picture makes it look less noticeable then it is. It just appears to me to be mich more faded then it should over a year. If I had an elevated FC level for a week? Would that be the cause?
    19k 27' round AG vinyl pool, 1.5hp Malibu 2-speed pump, waterway clearwaterII cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are keeping FC below shock level for your CYA then chlorine is not fading your liner. FC/CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's my fading after ten years in full sun. You can see it looks worse from the pictures out the bedroom window than down low. The spot under the steps is where I put a tab before I new better. Don't really care about color, as long as it holds water!

Before and after of the deck carpet, too.

joeself7's Library | Photobucket

edited link
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

6. Back To Top    #6

Leave a shirt balled up outside, untouched, and see how the sun fades it.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Significant liner fading at the end of one year is not normal. Yes, one week of overdose of FC can fade it.

Kept within the guidelines TFP suggests, there should be no fading that you would notice for several years.

The ink used on your liner may have an affect as well. Inferior ink will give up quicker than others.

So, there are many factors involved but it sounds like your FC was excessive at some point.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

That looks like prism bottom or glimmer glass, depending where it came from. Either way it's "printed" on white sheet material... I always try to discourage owners from white sheet.. They are a notably faster fade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #9

Mine faded this year to.The past 2 liners that I have had.Have faded and Warranty doesn't cover