Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater Wont Turn Off

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater Wont Turn Off

I opened my pool this weekend and thanks to you guys the water was clear. After cleaning the water I turned on my gas heater (a used Pentair Minimax CH 150) and it fired right up. I let it run for several hours then using the on/off switch I turned it off and walked away. I came back later and the heater was still on so I turned the temp dial all the way down. It stayed on, I turned the pump off and the heater shut down right away. Once the pump came back on so did the heater. I had to shut the gas off to turn it off.

Is there any way I can just install a new toggle on/off switch? If so can one of you please guide me through it or at least help me test it. I did move the water in/outlets to the opposite side and was careful about rewiring but maybe I made a mistake somewhere. I tried to look at the wiring diagram but that is way above my head.
    Heres a link to the manual: http://www.pentairpool.com/products/pro ... php?id=104
    Thanks for any and all help
    John
    24' AG, Jacuzzi CRF 750 Filter, Magnatek 1.5 HP 2 sp pump
    BBB Method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heater Wont Turn Off

The on/off switch is very easy to replace. In fact, if you pop it out and bring it to a local electronics store they'll probably have one in stock that will work. To remove it just open the front panel, remove the two screws holding the top panel with thermostats and on/off switch and drop that panel down, then pull the wires from the switch and pop it straight out.

3. Back To Top    #3

I wanted to try the toggle switch method first just to make sure the switch is the problem and nothing something with the wiring or circuit board. I suppose I can replace the switch and go from there.
    Thanks
    John
    24' AG, Jacuzzi CRF 750 Filter, Magnatek 1.5 HP 2 sp pump
    BBB Method

4. Back To Top    #4

Should be able to test the switch with a multimeter.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2