Submersible or Transfer Pump for Mesh Pool Cover?

lcd98

Aug 30, 2015
Middletown, NJ
Good Morning,

My pool service company is coming next week to close my fiberglass pool with my mesh loop loc cover. This is my second closing. Last year, I was concerned that the water level would rise and cause problems with my coping stones which are glued down on the fiberglass lip (and concrete which is flush with the lip). I was told I wouldn't need a pump but I worried all last year. I believe any overflow escaped throw the gap between my skimmer collar and extension. That concerned me because I have a large paver deck that the water would have been seeping under. I am contemplating purchasing a pump this year. Because I live in NJ with freeze/thaw cycles, I am worried about putting a submersible pump on my top step. I have heard that they burn out in such environments and I am worried about damaging the fiberglass if it overheats. It appears the other alternative is a transfer utility pump. I am thinking I can leave the leader hose under the cover a couple of inches down and when the water level rises, hook up the pump and pump out the water. This would obviously require more active monitoring but there doesn't seem to be a "set it and forget it" solution given my location. This is the pump I am looking at: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wayne-1-...PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-100661340-_-100067909-_-N. I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks,
Laura

Why not just periodically run a cover pump (briefly) on the top of the mesh cover to manage water level? I think that's the simplest solution. Not sure you can achieve "set it and forget it" status on this one apart from built in overflows.

I assume you drain your pool when closing. I'd just get a cheap submersible pump and put it in when you need it and remove it once you're drained it down low enough. You shouldn't have to do this more than a couple of times during the winter. Do you really want to leave a pump on your steps with a power cord and garden hose running through your yard or across your patio? Doesn't take much effort to put it in and take it out a couple times over the winter....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.