Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Submersible or Transfer Pump for Mesh Pool Cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Submersible or Transfer Pump for Mesh Pool Cover?

Good Morning,

My pool service company is coming next week to close my fiberglass pool with my mesh loop loc cover. This is my second closing. Last year, I was concerned that the water level would rise and cause problems with my coping stones which are glued down on the fiberglass lip (and concrete which is flush with the lip). I was told I wouldn't need a pump but I worried all last year. I believe any overflow escaped throw the gap between my skimmer collar and extension. That concerned me because I have a large paver deck that the water would have been seeping under. I am contemplating purchasing a pump this year. Because I live in NJ with freeze/thaw cycles, I am worried about putting a submersible pump on my top step. I have heard that they burn out in such environments and I am worried about damaging the fiberglass if it overheats. It appears the other alternative is a transfer utility pump. I am thinking I can leave the leader hose under the cover a couple of inches down and when the water level rises, hook up the pump and pump out the water. This would obviously require more active monitoring but there doesn't seem to be a "set it and forget it" solution given my location. This is the pump I am looking at: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wayne-1-2...-100067909-_-N. I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks,
    Laura
    20K gal, IG fiberglass installed 8/25/15, Pentair Intelliflo 3 HP variable speed pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48sf DE filter, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Aqua Comfort ACT-1250 Heat Pump, 3 S.R. Smith Pal Treo Lights with WPC1, S.R. Smith Turbo Twister Slide, S.R. Smith Swim N' Dunk Salt Friendly Challenge Basketball Game, Aquabot Millenium XE robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit and K-1766 Salt Water Test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Submersible or Transfer Pump for Mesh Pool Cover?

Why not just periodically run a cover pump (briefly) on the top of the mesh cover to manage water level? I think that's the simplest solution. Not sure you can achieve "set it and forget it" status on this one apart from built in overflows.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    Why not just periodically run a cover pump (briefly) on the top of the mesh cover to manage water level? I think that's the simplest solution. Not sure you can achieve "set it and forget it" status on this one apart from built in overflows.
    Thanks for your response. I didn't think I could use a cover pump on a mesh cover.
    20K gal, IG fiberglass installed 8/25/15, Pentair Intelliflo 3 HP variable speed pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48sf DE filter, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Aqua Comfort ACT-1250 Heat Pump, 3 S.R. Smith Pal Treo Lights with WPC1, S.R. Smith Turbo Twister Slide, S.R. Smith Swim N' Dunk Salt Friendly Challenge Basketball Game, Aquabot Millenium XE robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit and K-1766 Salt Water Test

4. Back To Top    #4

If the water gets high enough so that its touching, yes you can...but you don't want to et it run forever as it will either run dry and burn out or remove more water than you intended
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

I just put a submersible pump in the steps and leave it in all winter and plug it in as needed

6. Back To Top    #6

I assume you drain your pool when closing. I'd just get a cheap submersible pump and put it in when you need it and remove it once you're drained it down low enough. You shouldn't have to do this more than a couple of times during the winter. Do you really want to leave a pump on your steps with a power cord and garden hose running through your yard or across your patio? Doesn't take much effort to put it in and take it out a couple times over the winter....
    30,000 Gallon Inground, Vinyl Liner
    DE Filter & Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair Legend Platinum w/ PB4 Booster