Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC level at closing

1. Back To Top    #1

FC level at closing

Hello guys,

I am closing my pool for the first time myself. I am getting the water levels balanced and currently my chlorine is at 5. The pool store told me let my level get back to normal before closing the pool. What do you guys think? I thought I had to raise it a bit more and leave it higher than normal for closing? Will the high level of FC kill algaecide if I use it?

Thanks
    JG
    Semi-Inground
    15x25

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: FC level at closing

I would bring the FC to SLAM value just as you close. Yes, the FC will consume some of the algaecide. Algaecide is optional as the reports we get of helpfulness are varied. Others with more closing experience than I have may have observed different results.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you...My current CYA levels are between 50 and 60. Pool store tested at 50, my test with the Taylor kit came somewhere between 50 and 60. Would a FC level of 20 be appropriate for my CYA levels?

Thanks
    JG
    Semi-Inground
    15x25

4. Back To Top    #4

Recommend sticking with your Taylor CYA results. If your CYA test is 55 or above, round-up to 60. If closer to 50, then go with that. So your SLAM FC level would be either 20 or 24 depending on that result. Let that SLAM level circulate for a day or two in the chilly water to ensure organics are eliminated. Once you've done that, then add the algaecide. As Dave noted, if you add the algaecide right away, the elevated FC will probably reduce its effectiveness. Also make sure your water temp is below 60 for good this season. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you as well!!
    JG
    Semi-Inground
    15x25