Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Build - Vinyl In-Ground Innisfil, Ontario, Canada

1. Back To Top    #1

New Build - Vinyl In-Ground Innisfil, Ontario, Canada

Well guess it's time to start the build thread. We have our preliminary design sitting with Pool Builder, just waiting for the final drawing to approve before it gets sent off to Latham to build. So far very happy in the early dealings with the PB, covered almost all the items we had noted down to ensure and receptive to upgrades/changes. I'll post some pics of the property soon as besides regular advice and tips I'm also hoping to get some help from Brian (or others) on how to do the deck (and to visualize it). We have a raised bungalow with a high rear kitchen sliding glass door so it will have to be brought down rather quickly to the ground level.

Here is our last Intex pool which lasted extemely well for the past 3 years and left totally setup in the winter with not even a cover on it. Never had a green pool (large sand filter and SWG) and it was our third Intex pool. Love them for what you get for the cost.

We spent the weekend tearing it down and removing all the 6x6 wooden posts to prepare for the new dig coming soon:

---

The new build will be a 16 x 32 Rectangle (Roman style apparently) and the basic layout is below:

Here is my rough background drawing showing proposed decking and deck/shed areas:

---

We are going with the really cool Latham "Sit N' Step" for the shallow end and will likely be added jets with actuators to the Omnilogic to the seats (in white, could only find a grey pic):

and then Roman 8' curved for the deep end:

Our only issue is that the Sit N' Step will eat into our 8 foot concrete sun deck at the shallow end but there should still be enough room on either side for a pair of loungers.

---

Equipment so far (covered on quote but still being reviewed by us):

Hayward Omni Logic Base system
    Hayward Eco Star variable speed pump
    Hayward Swim Clear Cartridge Filter (likely upgrading to largest model)
    Hayward T-CELL-15 Salt Cell
    Hayward Universal H Series 250 BTU (Natural Gas)
    Wide mouth skimmer
    2 x ColourLogic 12v Networked Lights (Wish Hayward had their Omni module out for these)
    2 x Pool return/inlets
    2 x Anti Vortex floor suctions/main drains (if deemed necessary by PB but I'll likely request it).
    Plumbed in capped “T” fitting for future water fill line at mechanical pad
    Min size 2" Schedule 40 PVC and CPVC at header
    Drawing shows 17000 US Gals, 64300 Litres

Currently considering the Dolphin S300i as the "Cabana Boy" (aka Robotic Pool Cleaner). Wonder if we can get an attachment for a drink tray and use it to deliver beverages with the Bluetooth app?

---

Hopefully getting the build half completed this year and finished in the Spring (all depends on fall/early Winter weather up here).

Cheers
    Tim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Build - Vinyl In-Ground Innisfil, Ontario, Canada

Hello Tim. That's usually how it starts ... a small Intex followed by the bigger one. Nice. I only had a couple thoughts and maybe some others will chime-in. First, I would go with a larger SWG cell. Generally the larger is better for longevity and to ensure you have no problems with FC production. The other is returns. You currently show two return jets. I might consider increasing to at least four return jets. Water surface circulation is paramount to moving that debris towards the skimmer. My pool is 16 x 40 and I have six returns, so you might appreciate a little more water movement. Also, and perhaps you've already accounted for this, make sure the poolside skimmer is positioned in the location to which your prevailing winds normally blow. That way on an average windy day, you can be assured the surface debris will go towards that corner.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your build.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Well very late in the season but they are finally here to do the dig. Looks like we'll get the hole dug, main frame up, scratch coat of concrete and possibly even the patio (depends on weather). Then it sits over winter (bottom filled with straw apparently) till spring, then finishing coats/liner etc.

Tomorrow is the start so I'll post some pics after.

With the weather we have right now, I should be able to swim in it with a snowmobile suit on lol!

Cheers
    Tim

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Is the patio concrete? I would give it all winter for the fill underneath to settle as much as possible unless PB is using gravel as backfill.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Apparently they use "clear gravel" (or something to that effect) which greatly assists with the compacting. Their warranty so if they screw it up, they get to fix it.

I should give credit to this company as well, so far they have done a great job, no drama, no headaches.

---

That being said alot happened in the past two days! Still compiling pics and video but the pool is dug and frame is in. If weather holds out we get the first coat of concrete, backfill, patio and then a pool full of straw and it sits over the winder till spring. That being said I am VERY happy with the "Sit N'Step", it is HUGE in person. You could fit 4 normal people in it lol.

First the deck had to be partially taken apart and cut-down. I will take most of it down and rebuild it next year to match the new pool.

As you can see in the pic below, the survey lines were right under the front of the deck.

Then the gate/fence between the houses had to come down... Bobcat/skidsteer sitting waiting to get in with a full load of Diesel.

Due to good amount of space between the houses, they were able to get a larger sized excavator in which made short work of the dig. I love how those things can dig a trench in 30 seconds that would have taken our entire Section all day (Army days).

And on the second day entire frame was up and partially plumbed. If the daylight wasn't so short they could have been even father along but it gets dark quick now.

Overhead shots from my new DJI Mavic Pro drone (love this little guy):

Before:

Marked out:

Dig Done:

Frame in:

Cheers!

6. Back To Top    #6

WOW! When they get moving they MOVE! Sweet! Love the steps and sits also!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes so do I! The builder is adding four "Therapeutic jets" to the seats (two each) as there are indents for them. Was way out of my budget but it's one of those things that...well...it's not easy to simply retrofit once all the back fill and concrete is in. Hope they are worth it. Should be controlled by an actuator off the Omnilogic (now people need a waterproof phone in the pool to control the toys lol).

---

Once I get a better idea on how much "backyard" is left, I'm hoping to persuade Brian to assist with a deck/yard layout. Just looking for ideas since we'll likely build a deck all along the back of the house with a step or two down to the pool patio level.

Suspect they bought the wrong Colorlogic lights (non-networked) as the part number on the box is SPSUV1002SPA but since Omnilogic doesn't have an interface yet anyways, not a big deal. At least they are Colorlogic lights

---

Wow I see the guys are already here to start the rest today (early!) so more pics to come tonight.

Cheers
    Tim

8. Back To Top    #8

They're just working up their appetites!

Btw, I like our jets in our steps.