Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach concentration an American thing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach concentration an American thing?

I've looked at several brands when I'm doing my grocery shopping and not one has anything on the label giving that information. This is in Canada.
    14,000 gallons - oval shape - inground
    Chlorinator - Hayward CL-200 EF
    Sand filter - SwimPro SW-236T
    Pump - Hayward Super Pump C48K2N143B3
    Heater - Solar (roof)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Bleach concentration an American thing?

Wal-Mart Bleach usually has the Julian date on the bottom of each bottle and it is usually within 1 month. The bleach has a high turnover. You will be fine with
    that bleach.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

3. Back To Top    #3

The percentage is generally in very small print on the label, so you do have to search carefully; I often miss it on first glance. Low strength bleach (like you might find at the dollar store) seems more likely to be unlabeled as to concentration.

However, I have the vague feeling that I have heard your comment from other Canadian posters in the past... Hopefully other Canadians will chime in.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by singingpond View Post
    The percentage is generally in very small print on the label, so you do have to search carefully; I often miss it on first glance. Low strength bleach (like you might find at the dollar store) seems more likely to be unlabeled as to concentration.

However, I have the vague feeling that I have heard your comment from other Canadian posters in the past... Hopefully other Canadians will chime in.
    I have a bottle of Clorox and a No Name brand at home. I can't find anything on either label.
    Guess they have no room after having to print everything again in French.
    14,000 gallons - oval shape - inground
    Chlorinator - Hayward CL-200 EF
    Sand filter - SwimPro SW-236T
    Pump - Hayward Super Pump C48K2N143B3
    Heater - Solar (roof)

5. Back To Top    #5

Interesting, I would think they would need to label it with the percentage of sodium hypochlorite somewhere. Some of the cheap, no name bleach in the US isn't labeled but pretty much everything else is.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I have read a number of posts from folks up that way, that say the same thing. I wonder if they have SDS style info that would list the %
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Interesting, I would think they would need to label it with the percentage of sodium hypochlorite somewhere. Some of the cheap, no name bleach in the US isn't labeled but pretty much everything else is.
    Product labeling requirements, especially for hazardous chemicals, is usually dictated by local laws & regulations. Once the chemical reaches a certain strength it would be considered hazardous, but anything under that threshold may not fall under labeling requirements. Heck, the water that flows into my house from the municipal water supply has chlorine in it at XX ppm. Labeling is only "required" once deemed hazardous.

Laws differ in Canada, Mexico, USA, Europe or anywhere else for that matter. A requirement in one country or locality may not exist in another locality. Even within the USA, there are certain labeling & shipping restrictions for specific States for hazardous chemicals. It may depend on strength or overall amount packaged, etc. This likely explains why low strength products are not labeled, simply because they don't need to be.

A marketing group of a product may not want to state the strength (or lack of...) if they are not mandated to do so. Look at most labels, most are designed / written around trying to sell a product. For the vast population of users, how many really need to know what percentage of Sodium Hypochlorite is in the bleach. I would guess that few really care or know enough to look for the difference.
    Dave - Aqua Leader Elegance AGP 15'x30'x 54", 12k gallons, vinyl liner ... Hayward/SwimPro Voyager pump SW159412STL, 2hp, 2spd, Hayward/Voyager 175sf element filter SW175MDDVPAKS, Installed August 2016 ... Liquid Chlorine, Stenner, Woods 50015 timer ... TF-100 .... CYA/Chlorine Chart ... Recommended Levels ... Basic Care Schedule ... Extended-Test-Kit-Directions ... ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Go to the mfg website. If nothing else, there should be a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for each chemical they make.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

The MSDS only lists it as 5-10% (Trade secret) for a number of the different bleach products.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir