Starting a SLAM tonight...Question?

May 31, 2016
Nixa
First ever SLAM. We have auto cover and typically cover every evening. Do I cover or leave open overnight with FC at SLAM levels?

FC- .5
CC-1.5
PH 7.2
TA-180
CH-225
CYA 30

Water looks beautiful, but with CC above .5, I figured a SLAM was needed

Leave the cover open. That cc of 1.5 will dissipate quickly if you let your pool breathe a bit more.

You will probably be done with that SLAM in just a day or two.

Carry it out to the finish and then send a pic of your beautiful pool.

Did you measure the CC over 0.5 immediately after you opened the cover? If so, it may have been falsely high.

If not, then I would use the cover to help protect the high FC from the UV and keep it closed the majority of the time. Though I would open it for an hour or two at least during the day to help the pool out gas. Good luck.

Edit - Defer to Dave.

Thanks DuraLeigh!!! Ill get a pic up soon

- - - Updated - - -

PoolTool I have been testing first thing in the morning when I open my cover. Never realized that they may be false readings... Ill check again before Slaming. Thanks for the heads up

Pool Tool makes a very good point about what time you test. You might test several hours after you remove the cover and find your cc's are acceptable at .5 ppm or less.

Generally, an open pool will always help getting rid of cc's.

If you plan on continuing to swim periodically this season, closing the pool cover at night will help retain water temperature.

Pool Tool is absolutely correct that you have to open the pool for a while to let the CC's gas off before testing as the cover will contain CC's. (As a side note, pool covers should be opened every day for at least an hour or two for out-gassing regardless of whether you are slamming or not).

There has been discussion about the effects of high FC on an auto-cover. I only go into slam FC levels in my closing preparations, so I am not a good judge long-term. My cover is fine when I leave it mostly closed at pre-closing slam levels.

Hopefully this will be your first and last "slam" besides routine closing slams!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.