What's your CYA?

Aug 6, 2016
Cincinnati, Oh
Pool season is winding down here in Cinci, my pool is doing great and pool expenses are way down. As I ponder the important things in life I keep coming back to a question about CYA levels and I'm curious what the levels are in the pools owned by the experts here. I know the ideal range is 30-60 and I *think* I understand the pros and cons of higher versus lower CYA but wanted to hear from others what their levels are and why.

Thanks

the primary reason for CYA is to help protect the FC from being destroyed by UV from the sun.
With autumn on us and winter around the corner, that means less UV from the sun, and it also means lower water temperatures.

As the temps drop, the algae reproduction slows way down. So, its ok over the cold months to let the CYA get lower than normal recommended levels which is imperative in the hot summer.

I live in a warm climate and wont close my pool, Im still keeping my CYA and FC at normal level until the water gets down to in the 60's, and then I wont worry about CYA any more until Springtime comes back around. But I will test periodically and add liquid chlorine when the pool needs it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.