Can someone please help me diagnose this?

Alexr54

Jun 17, 2015
Florida
All the sudden my main pool pump stopped working. It's making a clicking noise every few seconds.
Does this indicate some sort of common pump failure? Something fixable maybe?
My first guess would be a baring is spent, but I'm no pro. Could also be a bad impeller, capacitor. I just don't know. So I ask on this amazing forum :)

It's a HST150 motor. Not sure what model pump. It is in the video. One speed. Fast. Although currently no speed.

I took a video
https://vimeo.com/184401835

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well whatever it is, its not common.
Bad capacitors hum. Bad bearngs squeal, and when finally sieze up, the motor hums.

It sounds like the pump starts normal, but as it starts to prime, the pump bogs down and clicks. Im suspecting maybe something in the impeller.

You might be able to check to see if its clogged. Take the top off and remove the basket. You should be able to stick your finger up into the impeller. See if you can spin it with your finger, or feel if something is in there clogging it.

hopefully someone else will come along with more suggestions.

Sounds like the motor is not coming up to speed so the switch is still in the circuit. You would have to check to see if the shaft on the motor is turning freely, if so check to see if the motor is getting proper voltage first, if good check the start capacitor.

On the back of the motor, there is a centrifugal switch that engages when the motor starts to allow a higher start current then disengages when at speed. This is what you hear clicking in and out as the motor is surging. A local motor repair shop can probably have this sorted out for you in no time. Don't run the motor like this as you can damage the motor windings over time.

Dan

Thanks Dan.
So this is something I should take the motor into a shop for? Nothing I can do myself? I am pretty handy.

The breakers are off until this gets sorted so the pump can't turn on by accident.

The funniest thing happened today.
So I finally got around to contacting my pool maintenance company that cleans my pool weekly about this.
I asked what was wrong, they said the obvious, the pump isn't working and it may need to be replaced...
So diligently I say that's all obvious, is it the motor or pump? Have you tried diagnosing it? Tell me what to do.
The guy called me passive aggressive and a moron.
And before I can fire him he tells me I'm fired.
Is it really so hard to find a capable pool maintenance company?
There are so many out there, how this company stays in business is beyond me.
Now stuck with a broken pump and shopping for a new pool maintenance company.

Is it really so hard to find a capable pool maintenance company?

No, but it is really hard these days to find a TECHNICIAN who can actually fix things. The easy solution is to just replace the defective component (in this case a pump). Lucky for me, there's a really good pump repair place nearby. They completely rebuilt an old AG pump that we have. Pump costs over $1000, they rebuilt it for $200. Hard to find places like this and being a technician myself, getting harder to find people who can fix things instead of replacing them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a new motor coming my way. Luckily I do some tech work for a owner of a electronic motor company.
If it's anything with the pump, impeller, I can order parts and fix it myself.
I simply expect a pool maintenance company to actually try and diagnose things instead of being rude and stating the obvious.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.