Jackson, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hey gang- religiously followed the TFP method and had a crystal clear sparkling pool pretty much the entire summer.
Just had the pool closed over the weekend and after reading some threads here, things were done a little differently.

1) Water was drained to just below the skimmers, not below the returns
2) No algaecide or anti-freeze was added to the pool before draining and blowing the lines. There was some antifreeze added to each skimmer around the gizzmo.

Should I be concerned?
I do have one of the better mesh covers that supposedly block out UV

FWIW, I watched my "old" pool guy close my then 'new to me pool' that very way several seasons ago and it was just fine. Provided the returns were blown out well and plugged, I don't see any issues.

One thing you could add now probably is an empty capped bleach or anti-freeze bottle to the skimmer. If you get water/ice in the skimmer, the bottle will collapse under the freezing ice before anything breaks.

I only drain my water below the skimmers and remove almost 99.9% of all the water in the lines. The returns are blown out under water. No Anti-Freeze in any of my piping. The Gizmo will do the trick, but at Pool Tool states, the extra bottle is never a bad idea.

Thanks guys, and neighbor! Never heard of the empty bottles in skimmer, but makes sense. Catanzaro, sounds like a Pool Town build?

I also always put an empty gallon container of antifreeze in the skimmer pot. Sometimes when I check things during the winter, the ice is completely wrapped tight against the plastic, so I like how it serves as a bit of an expansion piece rather than the ice being allowed to fill the whole skimmer pot and potentially cracking something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.