Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Cartridge Filter for My Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Cartridge Filter for My Pool?

We're contemplating a complete renovation. I've settled on an EcoStar or Intelliflo variable speed pump and a Cartridge filter. What are our best options for a Cartridge filter for our 28,000 gallon in-ground?
    28,000 gallons, 18x36, vinyl liner, 2 skimmers, 2 returns, 1 main drain, Hayward C4030 Cartridge Filter, Hayward TriStar VS 900 Pump, Raypak 400 BTU gas heater, Stenner 45mhp10 Peristaltic Pump (for bleach injection), Lamotte ColorQ and Taylor 2006-K test kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Cartridge Filter for My Pool?

Bigger is always better with filters. My Pentair Clean and Clear 520 has worked great for 5 pool seasons. They also make a 420. I prefer the Pleatco replacement cartridges to the oem Pentair filters. They are cheaper, better, easier to clean, last longer. Lots of good stuff.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I also recommend the Pentair Clean and Clear 520 and the Intelliflo VS pump. In my mind the Intelliflo is the "Gold Standard" of VS pumps.

But, no matter what VS pump you buy, make sure you install a surge protector right at your equipment pad. The main cause of VS failures is due to electrical surges.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

4. Back To Top    #4

I've had great luck for 2 years (and a really clean/clear pool!) with my set up:
    Pentair IntelliFlo VF and Quad DE 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    23,000 gallon gunite chlorine pool / spa .. French Gray Pebble Sheen .. IntelliFlo VF main pump .. IntelliFlo VS spa booster pump .. WhisperFlo 1HP water feature pump .. LA01N .75HP cleaner booster pump .. Letro Legend Platinum cleaner .. Quad DE 100 filter .. Max-E-Therm 400k heater .. Rainbow 320 chlorinator .. 1.5HP blower .. Easy Touch 8 remote control .. 8 Twirlybyrd jet spa .. Paralevel .. TF-100 w/SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Two people immediately agreeing on a specific brand and model...Just what I was hoping for! Great starting point. Thanx!
    28,000 gallons, 18x36, vinyl liner, 2 skimmers, 2 returns, 1 main drain, Hayward C4030 Cartridge Filter, Hayward TriStar VS 900 Pump, Raypak 400 BTU gas heater, Stenner 45mhp10 Peristaltic Pump (for bleach injection), Lamotte ColorQ and Taylor 2006-K test kits

6. Back To Top    #6

I had a Pentair FNS DE, and just switched to a Quad DE, so that is not really a cartridge filter [but sort of], so now you have three people that Like Pentair Filters, but I have not used others. My neighbor has all Hayward, and seems to be more frustrated, but he is an engineer like me and has high expectations.
    Jon -- 28kgal, IG, AquaBright, Attached Spa, ~1990, Quad DE 80, Easytouch8, IntelliFloVS-3050, Intellichlor60, IntelliPh, Dolphin DX6, City Water, K-2006/TF-100, SpeedStir, SampleSizer, San Diego, CA

7. Back To Top    #7

Started my research looking into DE because it seemed like the most efficient. But I got a little concerned about the maintenance. That's how I decided on cartridge. Pentair seems the way to go.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    I also recommend the Pentair Clean and Clear 520 and the Intelliflo VS pump. In my mind the Intelliflo is the "Gold Standard" of VS pumps.

But, no matter what VS pump you buy, make sure you install a surge protector right at your equipment pad. The main cause of VS failures is due to electrical surges.

Jim R.
    It hadn't occurred to me that that would be an issue. Would something like THIS suffice?

9. Back To Top    #9

Nothing is going to stop a direct hit, but I like having one even if only for pseudo piece of mind...

The one you show looks like it would work to me, but in my case I wanted one that plugged right into the power center like a circuit breaker..

Like this one: Surge Protector.jpg

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Tomolena View Post
    Started my research looking into DE because it seemed like the most efficient. But I got a little concerned about the maintenance. That's how I decided on cartridge. Pentair seems the way to go.
    The Pentair Quad DE is a hybrid (cartridge filters with added DE). Very easy to maintain and very clear water. I'm not sure if the Clean and Clear line is all that much easier to maintain than the Quad DE. With the Quad DE, I backwash it to get rid of the majority of the "junk" and then take out the cartridges out and hose them down. Then I reinstall them and recharge them. That whole process takes about 2 hours and I do that 1x or 2x a year. I recently gave them an overnight acid bath and that dropped my pressure from 10 to 6 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    23,000 gallon gunite chlorine pool / spa .. French Gray Pebble Sheen .. IntelliFlo VF main pump .. IntelliFlo VS spa booster pump .. WhisperFlo 1HP water feature pump .. LA01N .75HP cleaner booster pump .. Letro Legend Platinum cleaner .. Quad DE 100 filter .. Max-E-Therm 400k heater .. Rainbow 320 chlorinator .. 1.5HP blower .. Easy Touch 8 remote control .. 8 Twirlybyrd jet spa .. Paralevel .. TF-100 w/SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

I like DE filters, but where I live you cannot just backwash anywhere you want. To meet code, and pass the city's inspection, you have to backwash down the sanitary drain (sewer). In my case the sewer is on the opposite side of the house, so my only reasonable option was the Cartridge filter. Like Katy......Owner, I too only have to clean my filter twice a year. Once when getting ready for a new season, and once about 6 months later. I think this is due to having a larger filter and normally running the pump at a very low RPM.

Jim R.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Tomolena View Post
    It hadn't occurred to me that that would be an issue. Would something like THIS suffice?
    I installed a Square D HEPD80 to my pool subpanel to protect all the equipment there. Can get in big box h/w stores and online like here. It will help protect all the equipment on that panel. A little more protection than the other, which I had considered as well.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.