Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why remove return eyeball fittings?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why remove return eyeball fittings?

I see this step in nearly all winterization guides but no explanation as to why removing the return fittings is necessary. If the water is drained below them, why would one need to remove them?
    17x33 Splash Alpha Pool, Pentair Tagelus TA60D sand filter, Pentair 1.5HP Dynamo Pump. Pool ladder, towel hooks, ice chest full of beer, green swim trunks.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Why remove return eyeball fittings?

Quote Originally Posted by durtynacho View Post
    I see this step in nearly all winterization guides but no explanation as to why removing the return fittings is necessary. If the water is drained below them, why would one need to remove them?
    I would think for prevention. I like the fact that it keeps them from seizing in place if you regularly remove them. I use silicone o-ring lube on the threads anytime I remove/install them too.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    I would think for prevention. I like the fact that it keeps them from seizing in place if you regularly remove them. I use silicone o-ring lube on the threads anytime I remove/install them too.
    That is a good idea, I have found that the can be very difficult to remove, I guess from all the constant water pressure they are under.
    17x33 Splash Alpha Pool, Pentair Tagelus TA60D sand filter, Pentair 1.5HP Dynamo Pump. Pool ladder, towel hooks, ice chest full of beer, green swim trunks.

4. Back To Top    #4

IMO, the step to remove the eyes is to limit protrusions into the pool that can prevent the ice from moving. Last year for instance, we had a stretch of warm temps with snow that melted through the cover on to the "ice cap" that formed in the pool. Some of water made it under the ice while some froze on top of it. Either way the ice both raised and grew taller throughout winter. Anything sticking into the ice prohibiting it from lifting from water underneath it would have a lot of concentrated force at that point.

Just my $.02, and probably unlikely in TX but a real concern up north.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by durtynacho View Post
    If you do not cap the fittings, the winter snow and rain will displace the water under the cover and that will drain out, leaving even less (treated) water in the pool for the spring.
    Vinyl, 24' round above ground pool (15,000 gallons). 1 hp pump, Sta-Rite cartridge filter.
    Auto-Chlorinator using 3" tablets.