Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Tabs...

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Tabs...

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the 3" pucks are available in lower percentages than the usual 94%? I bought some standard 3" tabs for use in my fountain and toilet tanks. We were getting these before in 3-packs for ~$12 at the grocery store and I decided they were too expensive so I bought a tub of pool tabs. They are completely overpowering! I didn't realize the ones made for toilet tanks are low-dose. When you flush, the smell permeates the entire house and it's only a matter of time before all the fixtures, etc. rot off, so whenever these current tabs dissolve that's it for indoor use.

TIA!

Russ
    15x30 18k gallon fiberglass "Lazy 8" inground pool, Aquarite 40k salt generator, 1 HP pump, Hayward DE filter, Barracuda G3 (side port) cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Chlorine Tabs...

Quote Originally Posted by RASelkirk View Post
    Hi All,

Does anyone know if the 3" pucks are available in lower percentages than the usual 94%? I bought some standard 3" tabs for use in my fountain and toilet tanks. We were getting these before in 3-packs for ~$12 at the grocery store and I decided they were too expensive so I bought a tub of pool tabs. They are completely overpowering! I didn't realize the ones made for toilet tanks are low-dose. When you flush, the smell permeates the entire house and it's only a matter of time before all the fixtures, etc. rot off, so whenever these current tabs dissolve that's it for indoor use.

TIA!

Russ
    I believe that toilet bowl sanitizers are bromine, not chlorine. I could just imagine the smell when the chlorine combined with urine to make chloramines, yuck!

The reason that the fixtures will fail is from the very low pH created from the trichlor (very acidic).

I would take them out sooner than later.

- - - Updated - - -

Have a read here:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post208760
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Intex 15K SWG | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Chlorine Tabs...

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    I believe that toilet bowl sanitizers are bromine, not chlorine. I could just imagine the smell when the chlorine combined with urine to make chloramines, yuck!

The reason that the fixtures will fail is from the very low pH created from the trichlor (very acidic).

I would take them out sooner than later.

- - - Updated - - -

Have a read here:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post208760

Thanks for the link. I'll have to see if I can find those packs at the grocery next time I go. Pretty sure they're not bromine, unless bromine smells exactly like chlorine (and it may, IDK). The pucks are inside the tanks where one cannot possibly "whiz" directly on them, and there's been no unusual smells other than super strong chlorine. So, would bromine work better inside the house?

Russ
    15x30 18k gallon fiberglass "Lazy 8" inground pool, Aquarite 40k salt generator, 1 HP pump, Hayward DE filter, Barracuda G3 (side port) cleaner.