Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do you take the solar cover off as soon as swim season ends?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you take the solar cover off as soon as swim season ends?

Swim season is pretty much done here, but now I wait for the water to cool to 60 before closing. I still have the solar cover on to keep the sun from using up the chlorine. I'm wondering what people typically do- do you take the solar cover off immediately to get the water to cool faster, or leave it on all the way until closing?
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do you take the solar cover off as soon as swim season ends?

I take mine off to get to 60 sooner versus saving the chlorine. In reality, once the water starts to cool, you use less chlorine because of the lower temps and changing sun angle.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I take mine off to avoid dealing with leaves on the cover.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd rather have leaves on the cover than on the pool bottom!

Facepalm time now: seeing this question made me wonder why I didn't think of leaving the solar cover on when we put the winter cover on. That'd keep it from sinking like it did last year.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree 100%. That is why I run my pump 24x7 at 1100 rpm to keep tree junk skimmed and off the bottom. My VS pump only uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm so I can run it 24x7 for less than 12 bucks a month at 10.25c/kWh.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach